Have you noticed all the garbage on some websites?<RANT>

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Janitor Tzap

Have you noticed all the garbage on some websites?<RANT>

Post by Janitor Tzap »

I run FireFox with Add Blocker Plus, and NoScript Runner, on an old Windows 7 machine.
My local IP decided to move all E-Mail over to Yahoo.
Now when I go to check just my E-mail.
I first must allow all the garbage scripts on the web-page to load first, or it will think I'm a BOT.
Thus, I then have to go through all the Captcha's to prove I am not, before I can even put in my password. :(

Normally I would be able to cut out the garbage scripts from loading by using NoScript,
And loading only just the ones that are needed.
But, with some 30 or more web scripts running on a webpage.
Plus, these web scripts change, or more are piled on.
It is impossible to keep up, and know what scripts to leave out, and what to leave in. :???:

Unfortunately a lot of websites are like this.
And my old computer is struggling now, just to do Internet browsing.
I can sit for up to 3 minutes waiting for a site to load. :(

At first I thought it was because of my old computer.
But when I tried doing some browsing on another newer computer, I ran in to the same issue.
Not as bad, since it had a SSD, 16Gb of memory, a Quad Core Processor.
But it still took about 1 minute for all the scripts to load on to the web page. :roll:

Yeah, I could try up grading my Internet Service Speed.
Only I'm not willing to pay $200 a month or more for Gigbit speeds.
:(

Signed: Janitor Tzap
dacflyer

Re: Have you noticed all the garbage on some websites?<RANT>

Post by dacflyer »

Who needs those kinds of speed anyway ? gigabit could run a whole office or more. I have 250mbs and even that is way more then i need..
I run FF as well, and in my Task Manager, it shows like 12 processes of FF running, with just 1 page open. and if i use Ebay or Youtube, It taxes the heck out of my memory causing it to lag really bad at times.. Why so many processes for 1 web page.. I know my lappy is several years old and running WinXP.
But I feel that it shouldn't be running so many FF processes..
My Cable internet cost is getting out of hand as well. keeps creeping up each month even tho i was told it was price locked. Not much other choices here to choose from either..I might call them and threaten to find something better..

Ok,, your turn now...lol
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

dacflyer wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:12 am Who needs those kinds of speed anyway ? gigabit could run a whole office or more. I have 250mbs and even that is way more then i need..
I run FF as well, and in my Task Manager, it shows like 12 processes of FF running, with just 1 page open. and if i use Ebay or Youtube, It taxes the heck out of my memory causing it to lag really bad at times.. Why so many processes for 1 web page.. I know my lappy is several years old and running WinXP.
But I feel that it shouldn't be running so many FF processes..
My Cable internet cost is getting out of hand as well. keeps creeping up each month even tho i was told it was price locked. Not much other choices here to choose from either..I might call them and threaten to find something better..

Ok,, your turn now...lol
I looked in to why FF is running 12 processes.
It is because of all these scripts that websites are running on them.
If FF was only running one process, it would quickly get over loaded by all those scripts and crash. :(
Thus, the programmers at Mozilla decided to run multiple processes of FF.
Since most newer computers are running CPU's with multiple processor cores{4 or larger}.
Have newer {DDR4 or DDR5} 8Gb to 16Gb of memory. And are now using SSD's instead of slower HDD's.
These systems would have an easier time with all the scripts being loaded by websites now.

For us old timers still using systems with CPU's that have 1 or 2 core processors.
Slower{DDR1/DDR2} and less memory{2Gb or 4Gb}.
Plus. Still using a HDD for storage.
We are faced with upgrading to a newer system, just to keep up with everyone else. :(
Even if you try switching to a different Operating System{Linux}, these issues are not going away.

Another thing that is troubling, is no more backward support.
Most Motherboards no longer have:
9 Pin Serial Port
25 Pin Parallel Port
40 Pin PATA\IDE Port
34 Pin Floppy Drive Controller

Thus, connecting up an old Printer.
Old Serial Mouse, Trackball.
All those program's on Floppy Disks, Optical Disks, Data Tapes.
Old PATA HDD's.
Is no longer easy.
Yes, there are adapters available.
But, a lot of them don't work right with some older equipment.

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Thanks for explaining that.. Makes sense now.. explains why my memory is being heavily used at times. I wish there was a way to do a memory dump after all the tabs are closed.

Any idea ( FF Question , How to explain it.) For example, If i want to dump all my mail, I'll Click (select all 30 messages) then it would snap over to the OK Button, then i'd just hit the enter button... But now it does not do it any more. I know it's a simple setting in the "About blank" page in FF. Kinda like a REG setting. There's another issue, but cannot think of it this second.. I'll reply later on when i think of it.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

dacflyer wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:58 am Thanks for explaining that.. Makes sense now.. explains why my memory is being heavily used at times. I wish there was a way to do a memory dump after all the tabs are closed.
Go down load CCleaner: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download
Set it up for "Custom Clean" though "Options" menu.
Then go through the "Windows Tab" and "Applications Tab" and check mark things you want cleaned out.
Then click on the "Analyze Button", It will show what will be cleaned out.
If these are the ones you want cleaned out, then go ahead and click on "Run Cleaner".
If not, go back to "Windows Tab" and "Applications Tab" and uncheck them from the list for cleaning.
dacflyer wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:58 amAny idea ( FF Question , How to explain it.) For example, If i want to dump all my mail, I'll Click (select all 30 messages) then it would snap over to the OK Button, then I'd just hit the enter button... But now it does not do it any more. I know it's a simple setting in the "About blank" page in FF. Kinda like a REG setting. There's another issue, but cannot think of it this second.. I'll reply later on when i think of it.
Hmmm.......
I use Yahoo's E-mail, and the Deletion of E-mail is done by they're web mail program.
FF{Version 115.10} doesn't have that feature, unless it is an "Add-On" that was disabled, or removed.
You can look under the "Tools" > "Add-Ons and Themes"
Under Manage Your Extensions
Will be a list of Plug-ins that are Enabled or Disabled.
If the Plug-in your looking for isn't there.
Go scroll to the bottom of the page, and click on the "Find More Add-On's" Button.

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

It's something in FF, Noting to do with any addons, But the other thing i remembered,, used to be,, if i hit the back space button it would go back 1 page.
That function does not work any more either.. but these functions work fine on my lappy at home, Just not at work.. not since some few FF updates.
If i knew what to look for , that would be easier, I'm pretty sure it's in the Aboutblank settings.

And yes, I have CC Cleaner.. works good.. but not for all.. I have ad blockers as well...
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Sorry I didn't respond sooner.
The weather finally turned nice, and had to get out and get the lawn and garden work done before it turn nasty again.
:roll:
dacflyer wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:40 am It's something in FF, Noting to do with any addons, But the other thing i remembered,, used to be,, if i hit the back space button it would go back 1 page.
That function does not work any more either.. but these functions work fine on my lappy at home, Just not at work.. not since some few FF updates.
If i knew what to look for , that would be easier, I'm pretty sure it's in the Aboutblank settings.

And yes, I have CC Cleaner.. works good.. but not for all.. I have ad blockers as well...
Okay, wait just a minute.
FireFox is a "Browser" not an E-mail Program.
Whomever that is the Internet Provider your using, will have they're own E-mail handler program,
or use a Web-Mail service like Yahoo E-mail, Googles G-mail, etc.
Mozilla has Thunderbird E-Mail, but it sounds like your not using it.

Also, you say the Back {Alt+Left}Arrow doesn't function any more?
This function is normally linked to the "History Tab".
But, it is possible another program has taken over that Back {Alt+Left}Arrow, or {Virus} has corrupted the settings for it in FireFox.

Try this....
Save all your Bookmarks from FireFox.
Download the latest version of FireFox that works on your Work Computer.
Uninstall the current version of FireFox that is on it.
Now install that latest version of FireFox you downloaded.
Reinstall the Bookmarks you saved.

I had a {Virus} on my computer a while back, that corrupted several programs.
FireFox was one of them.
Only by doing a clean install of the latest version of FireFox, was I able to get it working correctly.

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Ok,, correction, Should have explained better... I use FF and example page was my Earthlink mail. But it actually happens with any page.
Like youtube etc, I hit the backspace button. No reaction to go a page back.. but the ALT+Left arrow does. Now if i am typing, the backspace works.
Just not when navigating pages.
Make any better sense ?
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

... I hit the backspace button. No reaction to go a page back...
:? :? :? Backspace is back one character while typing, not back a page. The back-arrow by the URL box and ALT Left arrow keys are go back a page. Sounds like standard behavior.

Cheers,
Dale Y
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Okay,
Thank you for a a more clear explanation of your question.
:)
dyarker wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:27 am
... I hit the backspace button. No reaction to go a page back...
:? :? :? Backspace is back one character while typing, not back a page. The back-arrow by the URL box and ALT Left arrow keys are go back a page. Sounds like standard behavior.

Cheers,
I agree with dyarker.
This is how the Keys from the Keyboard should work with FireFox.
I can only think that Firefox had at one time,
remapped the Backspace Key to function like the Back(Alt+Left)Arrow in the URL Box.
But, when the next version of FireFox came out, mozilla removed that function.
In fact, here is an article from ZDNET saying why they dropped that function. https://www.zdnet.com/article/firefox-t ... ck-button/

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Well that's a shame, This function still works on my lappy at home, And i keep it (FF) updated. But, My lappy isn't current OS, I'm still running win7.
Maybe that might be why the function still works ??
FF works , just not that function on other units at work.. 1 is on city network, and the other isn't.
I know it could be a setting in the Registry / Aboutblank settings. My guess..
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

dacflyer wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:46 am Well that's a shame, This function still works on my lappy at home, And i keep it (FF) updated. But, My lappy isn't current OS, I'm still running win7.
Maybe that might be why the function still works ??
I wonder.......

You have been doing the normal updates through the browsers updater?
And have never done a complete uninstall of FireFox on your home lappy?

When my FireFox installation got corrupted.
I had to do a complete uninstall, removing everything.
In doing this. I lost several add-on features{Full window, no tabs},
that were no long available for the fresh install of FireFox.