Aftermaster

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jwax

Aftermaster

Post by jwax »

Anybody try this gadget?
https://aftermasterpro.com/

Sounds (hehe) a tad bogus, but unless I hear one, who knows?
WA2RBA
dacflyer

Re: Aftermaster

Post by dacflyer »

doesn't sound much more than a equalizer with AVC.. IMO..
Externet

Post by Externet »

Digital audio processing does wonders; but as soon as television/film producers find out that a gadget can improve the intelligibility, they will insist on raising the noises and distorted electric guitars they call 'music' background to make it worse.

You cannot fix stupids abusing from sound effects, raw meat eating narrators chosen because they sound impressive and did I mention loud distorted electric guitars in the background of all programs, including advertisements ?

Sound grows to become tiring and vomitive to listen when they try to make an impact to audiences.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

A lot of newer TVs especially higher end already have the auto volume leveling but dialog enhancing seems like a hearing aid trick and could be useful to those without flat hearing response which is just about every adult. seems a little expensive but not too much so if you need it. These features could be built into TVs in the next few years if consumers are asking for it. This one being portable allows you to take it with you and use when you visit friends for example.

My Smart TV has an app that tests my color vision then resets the picture for my eyes, I can imagine a similar thing for audio someday.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

who listens to what people want in a tv ?
i never seen or heard such a thing...or for any product for that matter..
i know of a few places that i called to suggest things. but it never comes to light..
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

if you are a consumer and want to be heard by a manufacturer, these days twitter and Facebook posts have a good chance of being seen. However if you want acknowledgement and recognition of a particular idea, that's not likely to happen, the research goes on in high quantity and a single voice will rarely be consulted. A feature may come from a chip maker or may be requested of the chip maker by the TV maker or in the case of Samsung may be one in the same and market research is done in other markets like S. Korea. Someone in marketing is gathering data to inform management on what new products and features to develop or implement to outsell the competition or at least out profit them.

Many consumer manufacturers also host Community forums for users to ask questions and search for answers etc. These are normally monitored by company employees and good posts will go up the chain to some degree. Most people complain so a suggestion may stand out. Again, don't expect acknowledgement. Trying to get on a focus group probably won't work either, they select those randomly for a reason.

Ironically, I have seen a decrease in features in TVs, just try finding one with 3D in a 2018 model when they were common 2-3 years ago. PIP is long gone too and split screen is a rarity. I think those features have temporarily out run the available bandwidth in 4K video processors.

I agree its discouraging not knowing if you are talking to the wall or not and so I don't spend much time thinking about how to help them.