Telemecanique Modicon TSX Nano 07 PLC

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Lenp

Telemecanique Modicon TSX Nano 07 PLC

Post by Lenp »

Anyone out there familiar with the Telemecanique Modicon TSX Nano 07 series of logic controllers?
This PLC is installed in a bindery machine and a few weeks ago it failed, error LED on, no activity.
Their factory tech support gave a diagnosis that it was 'un-powered for too long'...? and the program needs to be reloaded.
So, 48 wires later I had it out and the customer shipped it to the tech support to 'reload' the program.
I installed it when it was returned and all ran as expected....Until yesterday when it dumped again. Same error LED on.
Now the customer is trying to get a replacement from the service group that supports this machine.
My impression is that this PLC uses NVR for the program storage and then loads a copy on startup. So is it a a bad NVR, Internal memory, boot sequence???.
Not at all that 'un-powered bunk. Since they will probably do some sort of exchange on the replacement, does anyone want to venture a virtual necroscopy on this dead dog?

Just moving on....
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
haklesup

Re: Telemecanique Modicon TSX Nano 07 PLC

Post by haklesup »

an NVR has an internal backup battery but I am unsure if it can be measured external to the package (pin 16 and 20 on some). Its old technology with flash memory and EPROMS mostly replacing it.

Is there a coin battery on the module, you would think they would have replaced it when they reloaded though if there is one. Too bad the user cannot load the firmware.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

The vendor is supposed to be getting a 'refurb' unit together for the customer for $$$$, but I have seen several on ebay for +/- $200
So then, if that's the case would you expect that any of these PLC's of the same vintage will have the same issue?
Is his ship sinking?
Len

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

without knowing the details of construction it is hard to say. you said NVR and I thought of a battery backed RAM but it might not be. A photo of the guts would help in that assessment or a list of IC part numbers. What is the vintage? Battery backed RAM would be up to mid 90s I would guess. maybe some old Flash had data retention issues too. Even a modern Flash card is not intended to be archival in reliability but should last years. EPROM embedded or beside a uController would be more common now, probably in serial format. EPROMS have very long data retention times too.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

As a follow up, the OEM support is abysmal! The tech guy maintains there is no battery, yet the factory specs show there is a battery backed up RAM, with expected 30 day life.
He claims to 'change all the relays' in the units when they are rebuilt, but 'never saw any battery'. Original unit unavailable as new, only 'refurb/used/rebuilt' pig-in-a-poke units are available, with an unknown battery status. The new 'replacement model' has a user replaceable battery, but there are some electrical compatibility issues (contact ratings), the program code is not directly supported, and it is a different size. The OEM is supposed to get me a copy of the system program so I might be able to load it back to get it all up and running, but I'll still need to get their programming software and a special cable.
And so it goes.....Big circle, many emails and phone calls; owner loosing patience, and temper! It gets better every day, I just love this line of work!
Len