MCM is no more...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

MCM is no more...

Post by dacflyer »

A friend told me yesterday that MCM was bought out by NEWARK..
he said he just got the newest catalog the other day and a few days later he tried to place a order, and the phone was answered by a NEWARK employee..

MCM Electronics is Now Newark - More Product, More Service‎.. go figure....
MicroRem

Re: MCM is no more...

Post by MicroRem »

Pretty soon it will be one big company.. and then they will probably fade away too... Sad.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Last time I looked, they were MCM - Newark, and that was... last year? Yeah, saw that coming. I'll have to look at the new site and see what I'll be lamenting over.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Newark years ago was competitive but lately they seem like the silver platter under the beans and bread bowl!
FYI:
Do you know that http://www.zoro.com is a spin-off from Grainger? They carry many of the same products, at a lower price and offer free shipping for $50+ orders.
They have a bad search engine, so just get the Grainger stock numbers and use them at Zoro.com. They are also very accommodating with returns and issues.
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

The variety of electronic part numbers is growing exponentially, component sales are so commoditized that only universal and specialty distributors can still compete. Just selecting an inventory must be so risky these days. If you don't carry everything like Mouser and Digikey, how can you stock the stuff that sells infrequently. The odds of getting stuck with an obsolete inventory you have to sell below cost are significant. Even the brokers that used to exist to help companies procure multiple brands have gone the way of travel agents, there may be a few left but everyone mostly does it themselves on the internet at big distributors. That's not a bad thing, Fewer middlemen make for lower costs.