Transformer

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Donald S. Lambert

Transformer

Post by Donald S. Lambert »

Transformer. On a center taped secondary winding are the two windings connected as series bucking or series adding. In other words if the two ends are connected together would you get if for instance a 12.6 ct secondary winding 6.3 volts at twice the amperage? I don't know where to look for the answer. Thank you for an answer. Greybie
Dean Huster

Re: Transformer

Post by Dean Huster »

Tapped transformers are always series-aiding since the tap is part of a continuing winding that keeps going the same direction. If you take a peek at a Digi-Key catalog in their transformer section, you can see that most of their bobbin-wound transformers have dual identical secondaries. They can be connected series aiding for double the voltage at the same current capability or in parallel for the same voltage and double the current capability.<p>In the transformer you are referring to, if you connect the ends together, you'll have a nasty short circuit that will burn the transformer up. A similar center-tapped transformer is used off the HV lines to supply your house with electricity. From center tap (neutral) to either leg (hot) you'll find 120 volts. Between the two legs, you'll find 240 volts. Connect THOSE two legs together and you'll have fire like you've never seen! <p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Donald S. Lambert

Re: Transformer

Post by Donald S. Lambert »

Thank you Dean Hustler. That confirms my suspicion that was the case. I just didn't want to sacrifice a transformer to find out. I will admit that I am not a young person and that my electronic knowledge is mostly from a course in radio repair taken back in 1943-1944 from NRI. I have tried to keep up by reading but there is a difference in reading about things and doing the circuitry. Doing the circuitry really sets it in your mind more firmly. Greybie