Kronos Flyer Series

mlgpilot

Re: Kronos Flyer Series

Post by mlgpilot »

Mr. Simpson,

I installed my GPS system and after a full 8 hours of trial and error I got it all working, GPS hold, Fail Safe, Course Lock. My quad is a delight to fly.

I have flown it about a dozen times and I finally had my first crash, and it was a big one! My quad was up about 00 feet taking a movie of my lake area and the battery slipped out of the underside holder. I had it under control with full right stick and was descending when the ground wire connector connection to the power distribution board came loose. It dropped like a rock sideways. The crash destroyed my camera and some hang-on electronics but the quad was in one piece and total un-hurt. Well, 2 busted props...

Michael you design one hell of a strong quadcopter! Thank you.

Now, anybody have some ideas on how to positively clamp a typical 2200 mAh Turnigy battery to the underside??

Thanks,

Mike
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Add something to the front and back to keep the battery from sliding. In addition I have used two wraps for redundancy. I have a very large hex based on the same construction and use a 4 cell 5000 battery. The battery is almost as heavy as the craft. Any shifting can be disastrous.

As for the quad. Welcome to the wonders of wood. Its very sturdy, and gives when it needs too. With that in mind I have crashed full on into a tree and busted the quad in half. The good news is that every thing else survived. I would hate to loose my camera or even worse my controller.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Look into my FRMP system. These add a isolation platform to the quad with the battery mounted on top. This way its very easy to better secure the battery. The battery mounted on top also keeps the isolation platform from vibrating.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Did you get a video out of the crash?
mlgpilot

Post by mlgpilot »

Michael,

Thank you for the suggestion, I will look over your FRMP system. Moving the battery to the top is part of my plan so I can install a gimbal underneath.

About the video, unfortunately the card did not survive. When the camera shattered the card was busted as well. I must admit I was hoping the card survived as the crash video would have been excellent!

I flew the repaired quad today and it may have some residual issues. One of the motors may have a bent shaft as it is making a bit more noise than before. Also when I had the quad GPS stabilized in one spot, as I did a pedal turn instead of just spinning around on its axis, it also flew counter clockwise in a very small circle as well. Not sure what that means. I thought it might have been toilet bowl effect but in a locked hover the quad is solid and does not move.
Troubleshooting is half the fun....

Thanks,

Mike G.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Run the motors without props to see if any of them vibrate excessively. Also after a crash you should look at the balance of each prop.
mlgpilot

Post by mlgpilot »

Michael,

Thank you for your note. I did find a prop that was out of track, one blade was bent. I will check each prop for balance and spine each motor to see if the shaft is bent.

Regards

mike
mlgpilot

Post by mlgpilot »

Mr. Simpson,

I will be building a larger quad using your FRMP parts and was wondering if you were still happy with the hexTronix DT700 motors for such a build? Just checking before I place an order for the motors.

Also I am having a bit of a problem finding the 10x4.5 props on Hobbyking. The ones I find are for airplanes.

Any help here world be appreciated.

I did discover a defective connector on one of my Turnigy 2200mAh batteries. The connector connections were slightly recessed which led to less than optimum metal to metal contact and the connector slowly started melting. Finally I had a flight failure with that battery. I replaced the connector, no more heat or problems.

Thanks,

Mike
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Yes, I still like the DT700 motors.

Check out your various local hobby stores. The Hobby Hanger near me sells props for planes and I purchase both the CR and CCR props from them.

HobbyKing USwarehouse sells a set of 1045 props for quads.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... nches.html
This set has adapters that will fit most motor shafts.
mlgpilot

Post by mlgpilot »

Has anybody had problems with the XT60 connector on the Turnigy 2200mAh batteries? I have had two connectors get hot and then the plastic part of the positive connection starts to slightly melt and the positive connections starts pulling out.

I replaced the connector and the problem went away.

Thanks for the help.

Mike
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Their are a couple reasons the connector is getting hot enough to melt.

1. You are pulling too much current.
2. You have a bad connection somewhere.

Get a battery tester that will allow you to monitor the load on the battery while its running. I have one I got from hobbyking. It shows voltage/load/watts.

I have yet to have a problem with the connectors.
mlgpilot

Post by mlgpilot »

Michael,

I measured the total current being drawn at hover and it was 25amps.

I will take the flyer apart and look for any bad connections.

The thing is, I have 5 batteries and it happened to my oldest battery first and then it happened to my next oldest. I put a piece of tape on each of my batteries and I keep track of the age and how many charge/discharge cycles the battery has. I am just guessing but it seems like as the battery gets older the voltage may be dropping and the current goes up because ultimately the motors are going to draw a certain amount of power/watts.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
mlgpilot

Post by mlgpilot »

Mr. Simpson

I am slowly assembling my new quad using your FRMP parts and I notice that the FRMP boards assemble asymmetricaly and I confirmed this by looking at the magazine artlicles showing the FRMP boards. My question is how do I think about the balance of the quad. Do I weigh each module and concern myself on where it should be placed or am I worrying too much about it?

Thanks,

Mike
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

A quad should always be balanced dead center of the motors. A NAZA or APM can compensate for a lot of out of balance.
kenusa

Post by kenusa »

Hi there,

After building the KRMx02 successfully, I'm ready to jump into my next project which is a quadcopter.

Before I start ordering parts, I had a couple of questions.. My goal is to build a quadcopter with an FPV system
based on a gopro with a gimbal system.

I see you have tried the kronosflyer with a gopro. Have you tried it with a FPV system and gopro gimbal (2D/3D)?
If so any advice on those?

Will it support the extra weight of FPV + gimbal + gopro? Do some items need to be changed (bigger props? / more powerful motors ? / etc)

Looking forward to my next project! Keep up the good work Mr. Simpson!

Ken