an electronic device that would blast their music

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
CeaSaR

Re: an electronic device that would blast their music

Post by CeaSaR »

Well, as was pointed out earlier, noise (sound) cancellation is never 100% effective.
And that is when it is used in conjunction with ear/headphones. Free air noise cancellation
is a crap shoot because of all the extraneous variables that crop up along with the problem
of timing the inverse wave in conjunction with the offending wave leaving a smallish spot of
reduced noise. That doesn't mean you can't try for it near the side of your house facing the
P.I.T.A. neighbor.

The way it works is a set of microphones (Left and Right) pick up the noise source and send
it to a signal inverter/preamplifier. From there, it gets mixed in (at an adjustable level) with
your own music you wish to hear and then amplified in the normal fashion. You would have
to experiment with Mic placement and level, maybe even using the non-inverting input of the
Mic preamp to get it all to work due to time lag of the offending noise (due to travel) to the
"sweet spot" of semi-silence. You would need a decent amp, maybe 50 watts, to give you
some leeway in setting the correct volume for cancellation, and a decent pair of outdoor
speakers, something with enough range to help cancel out the full spectrum of audio. You
would also need a way to keep the microphones dry and the cables clear of corrosion due
to moisture. Yes this could run a decent amount of spare change, and not get you what
you want, peace.

I like Externet's idea of using an FM transmitter to mess with his receiver. Getting the signal
close enough to the neighbor's property minimizes the signal needed. A small transmitter would
be all that you would need. See my list for them in (>this thread<). You could even use shielded
wire and expose just a small amount of the center conductor to act as the antenna. Then run
the wire from inside the house to near the property line. You could turn it on/off at will. Another
idea related to that is to have 2 xmitters, one for each station, and feed them with the exact
station so as to create a "reflection" and make the station harder to listen to. You would be
running a repeater and not squashing the station. AND, he would be the one affected if you keep
the power low enough. If you are sneaky enough, you could make them think it is a problem with
their equipment!

Have you checked for a "Noise Ordinance" in your area yet? I would rather you go that way before
trying anything that could get you into trouble.

Good luck,

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Volter

Post by Volter »

Actually, yesterday it quite escalated to the point that I called cups. But they only made him to lower it not to turn it off and so he still played for additional hours until 9 pm. Today was quite but I am sure he will play again for several hours 6 – 10 especially over the weekends. I am trying to put together a letter for the HOA and see if loud and long hours of music could be prohibited and in the mean time I’ll try to explore different venues.
Thanks much.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

reloadron wrote:
Another evil thing I did as a kid was when I was 13 and just got my first ham ticket. That was in '63. One Christmas the neighbor kids got a set of Walkie Talkies (Those old crude Citizens Band flea power units). I had an old Knight Kit signal generator. Matter of fact it still exist today in my mothers basement. Anyway they were out on the street playing with their new toys as I sat there running 400 Hz modulation and tuning the old Knight Kit to those 27 MHz frequencies.

Ron

I was getting ready for a vacation and was installing my 10M radio opened to work on 11M (read CB) in a van. I was getting this strange noise across the entire CB spectrum and could not figure it out. It sounded like computer noise but was on almost every channel. As I tuned across the band trying to find it I noted that it was IN BETWEEN two CB channels; a prime spot for RC toys. Hmmm. I start looking around outside the van as I knew the signal could not be that far away. About three houses down I noted several kids playing in the street with RC cars. AH! Noise source found. New source of fun also found. Keying the radio and whistling into the Mic caused all sorts of crazy action from the cars. Leaving the radio in transmit mode jammed the kids remotes that the only way they could get the cars to work was to touch the remote antenna to the car's antenna. After about five minutes they finally give up and put the cars away. WIN!
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

While the Ramsey kit will work, there is a MUCH cheaper and very effective way to jam FM radio. See this link:

http://www.next.gr/inside-circuits/TV-a ... l4106.html

I built several of these in high school; when most people still got TV over the air. You could black out the entire picture of a TV with one of these. From several hundred feet. FM radio was a piece of cake. While the schematic is NOT totally complete, I can fill in the details as did the comments under the schematic. Variable cap is not super critical and is in the 4 to 35 pf range. You might be able to salvage a variable cap out of a defunct device or pull the tuning cap out of an old AM radio.

Antenna connects to the collector of the transistor. They purposely left the antenna off this circuit as they wanted it to remain legal. Without the antenna you might get 25 feet or so range. With the antenna you'd get several hundred feet. Real long antennas won't help much and might cause the circuit not to oscillate. Use about 24 to 36 inches.

This circuit is NOT super critical as it produces all sorts of harmonics. Build the circuit on a perf board and keep components close together as possible. Lowering the 15K resistor value slightly will get you more gain. The PN2222 transistor is also not super critical and 2N2222 or other NPN general purpose signal transistors will work just fine. Find the station this guy is listening to on your radio. Tune up until you have a solid blank signal. This way they don't see you doing anything. Take jammer outside, possibly hidden in a plastic cup or something not resembling anything electronics. Enjoy the torment.

There is another option but is a bit more harsh. Find a TTL crystal oscillator in the 100MHz range or there about. You can get four of these SHIPPED for $5 off eBay. Or find one off a dead computer device (modem, printer, motherboard etc.) Hook up a power source to "pins 14 and 7" (positive and negative, respectively). Five or six volts will do. Hook up a 24 to 36 inch wire to "pin 8" for an antenna. This will blank out a large portion of the FM band. If you know the station(s) this guy listens to, get custom TTL oscillator frequencies. Although I have not tried this, hooking a 100MHz oscillator up with a 2MHz oscillator should give you 98MHz and 102MHz out and a slightly wider bandwidth of jamming.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Robert Reed

Re: an electronic device that would blast their mu

Post by Robert Reed »

One other method that hasn't been mentioned is a simple VCO cicuit incorporating a varicap diode and driven by a simple ramp generator at a few hundred cycle rate. Can be adjusted to sweep the entire FM band . This way you don't have to hunt for the offenders station and if they change stations will be of no use. Of coarse, your personal FM radio will be useless during this operation, but you are in control as to the timing and duration of this operation.
cdreid

Post by cdreid »

If you interfere with public airwaves you're setting yourself up for major trouble. A few neighbors making phonecalls and the fcc may show up at your door with a 4 or 5 figure fine.

The lawsuit idea wont work either. Yes we've all seen some insane examples of lawsuits but at least in most places a lawyer has to sign on as an officer of the court. In essence declaring your lawsuit isnt a harassing suit, which it actually is. Of course you'll also have to pay him. So thats not going to fly.

So it seems you have several options:
1. Get noise ordinances passed - not easy , likely to anger a Lot of people
2. "Undetectable" or "accidental" solutions like spark gap transmitters.
3. Counter-nuisance. If it were me i would find the type of music they hate most... theyre listening to country and
elevator music? Im betting they HATE rap and heavy metal. So hook yourself up a system and when you arent there directionally target their home and blast them at exactly the same decibal level. They'll eventually either surrender or turn up the volume in which case a visit from the cops (and eventually a ticket) will result. As you wont be home it wont bother you so eventually you'll win.

Oh and there is 4 of course: Flatten the male idiot of the pair.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

If you interfere with public airwaves you're setting yourself up for major trouble. A few neighbors making phonecalls and the fcc may show up at your door with a 4 or 5 figure fine.
While this is true (well, not at your door, your mailbox perhaps), FCC actions are rare. Here is a list from the first half of this year and in all cases, actions are preceeded by warnings. A quick review of the warnings shows most of these have to do with either CB radio (10 or 11m band) or unauthorized repeaters or use of external RF amplifiers. The list is quite short considering it covers the whole USA.

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/AmateurActions/Welcome.html
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/AmaCmpl.html

If you were to use an off the shelf FM modulator (designed for MP3 player to car radio for example) unmodified and in close proximity to the neighbors radio, you may be technically within the law. On the other hand, if such interference were deemed to be willful or malicious, it might not matter how you did it. I'd stick with a blank carrier if you were determined to try. In any case, you could expect a warning letter before a fine was levied.

Few of these come with the story of how the offending equipment was identified, that would be interesting to see.