only one at a time

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
new guy

only one at a time

Post by new guy »

I have a dell laptop running "XP". There are 2 people logged onto this computer but only one person can be on the internet at one time. If the other person wants to log on and go on the internet they first have to log off the other person first. Is this normal or can I fix this?
reloadron

Re: only one at a time

Post by reloadron »

new guy wrote:I have a dell laptop running "XP". There are 2 people logged onto this computer but only one person can be on the internet at one time. If the other person wants to log on and go on the internet they first have to log off the other person first. Is this normal or can I fix this?
I can tell you that no it is not normal. However I have heard of the problem and the instances seem more frequent in Windows XP MCE (Media Center Edition) than in XP Home or XP Professional. I tried a few scenarios in Windows XP Professional running on my workstation machine and had no problems using fast user switching with both users running MSIE open. I did read about an instance where the machine would load and run Omni-Page (background process). Using the task manager Omni-Page could be stopped and then things worked. However, nope it is not normal.

My only suggestion would be to try and isolate what process may contribute to the problem. That would amount to opening the Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del) and stopping a few running processes at a time. Then while stopped having the other user try and use MSIE. The trick is not to stop a required process and a machine can have quite a few processes running.

Something else to try would be to download and install Firefox (another browser) and see if the problem persist running with that browser.

Wish I had more to offer.

Ron
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Evidently this does happen.

I'm using Vista on a work notebook PC on a sales trip this week. Yesterday using a 3G cellular modem I was able to connect to the internet and the status said it was connected etc (and diagnostics and status kept telling me there was no problem) but I was unable to view web pages but I was able to use Skype. I eventually remembered this post and then realized I had logged on as one user then switched to another. After rebooting and logging in only once, I was able to view web pages again.

I have yet to try it but if I activate connection sharing, it might allow 2 users.

Control panel > network connections > properties of the connection you are using > sharing tab > check "allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection.

While I regarded this setting to allow other separate PCs to use a connection when you don't use a router, it may also solve this problem.

I'll try it later

You would think Windows could present an error message accurately telling you it cannot display the web page because another user was currently using the connection but noooo.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

potiskanje, tako lepo temo dobro delovno mesto
""bump, so a nice theme good job" (I think)

In slovakian? This poster has apparently posted this in a bunch of forums.

To the poster. If you want to post in another language, fine. But please also post the translation in the language of the board you post at the same time. In this case English please.
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

haklesup wrote:
potiskanje, tako lepo temo dobro delovno mesto
""bump, so a nice theme good job" (I think)

In slovakian? This poster has apparently posted this in a bunch of forums.

To the poster. If you want to post in another language, fine. But please also post the translation in the language of the board you post at the same time. In this case English please.
It's a spammer. Note the link in the post. There are 3 post in this forum by him. They will likely all say the same thing and there is also a link in their profile. Sometimes there is a "Find all post by" but not here. Actually it is likely a bot.

Ron