Home Networking-more

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
skeezix

Home Networking-more

Post by skeezix »

Reading the current issue's article on home networking, I have to say I am impressed with the off-the-shelf quality and availability of standard home a/c networking. Somewhat new to this technology, I understand that the electronics are there by and large, but information on the SECURITY aspects are somewhat scarce.<p>That is to say, I understand data traffic to be sniffable up to the neighborhood transformer, available for any and all to see. Yes, I can imagine if this is true, traffic can be encrypetd device to device in any number of ways, rendering sniffable traffic somewhat secure (depending on the talents of the neighborhood snoop) but this is probably too complex for most home users.<p>I have heard some basic electric wiring contractors pre-wire devices into the home, perhaps at the main feed, to ameliorate this condition. Can anyone out there expound on the issue of security, exactly where downstream such security concerns cease to be an issue and products/strategies to cope? Are home vpn's the only answer, and can these products be adequately configured by the average user? I'm open to websites, whitepapers on the issue....
I do what I can, I work in the dark.