electric car

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
zotdoc

electric car

Post by zotdoc »

I have recently seen on ebay a good deal on a Seimens traction motor that Ford used for it's now discontinued line of electric vehicles, unfortunately, it is just the motor. I've looked at the Seimens site and at the Ballard design site, but I can't seem to find out where I can purchase the electronic contoller for this motor. Anyone know? I want to convert a small pick up truck to electric and put a large solar panel to charge it during the day. Most of my driving is in the early morning and late evening, and never over 40 miles. I'm really tired of paying for gasoline and supporting a bunch of middle eastern terrorists! Thanks for anybody's help.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I forget the actual name at the moment, but look up electric controller for cycles and Go Carts.

The company's name has three simple letters like AMC? [something xMC?]

They make a slew of units and you can even copy a system upping the current.

I have a one unit out of a bicycle and Im going to do so mods on it.
gerty

Post by gerty »

Google for "EV1" .. It's what we used on electric fork trucks and personnel lifts. Don't know the name of the manufacturer.
EV1 would fire scr's for travel at less than full throttle, at full throttle it would pull in a contactor for full voltage to the motor. It was pretty much self contained with few external components.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Curtis was one of the biggest makers of solidstate controllers, but look over the electric cars on this site since they each reveal what controller they're using.
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/
Happy drooling!
:grin:
Smoke_Maker

Post by Smoke_Maker »

He is talking about the "Seimens traction motor " which I'm pretty sure that is a 3 phase A/C motor, the controller needs to be matched to the motor, they are "tuned" to work together.

This guy can tell you more about the controller you need.
http://www.metricmind.com/
Richard Furniss
is it suppose to smoke like that ?
zotdoc

electric car

Post by zotdoc »

thanks smoke, that was a really helpful site!