robotics careers, opportunities, colleges

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
Faulkner

robotics careers, opportunities, colleges

Post by Faulkner »

Howdy everyone.
I'm a sophomore in high school in southern california. Basically, its about time for me to start planning where I want to go from here. I think I'd be interested in a career in robotics, but my problem is that I'm just a hobbyist - I don't know who's hiring roboticists, what sort of things they do, or how best to become one, or even if its right for me. My questions: what sort of things can I do to get more involved in robotics as a possible career? How can I get a little experience? I'm starting to think about colleges, but aside from MIT and Caltech, I don't really know who's doing what. If anyone can help point me in the right direction, or suggest a company that's hiring this summer, or just offer words of wisdom, I'd more than appreciate it.
Thanks in advance to everyone.
-Matt Faulkner
MOVEME

Re: robotics careers, opportunities, colleges

Post by MOVEME »

nohaguy:
Math, Math, Math,
Offhand I would asume there are several different directions of Robotisism to pursue. If your looking for bucks I'll bet on programming domain to be the best.<p>But I'll also predict that we are running short of
craftsmen of inginuity with regards to the nuts and bolts. And I don't see alot of courses for service plumbers either!<p>GO with what makes you happy and if you're good It'll pay ; THE SKY'S your limit. GET'UM
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Robotics does contain many fields, and unless you intend to go for the doctorate, you need to chose. Like the above mentioned you need to understand the different fields and then chose one or more of them to study. Some of the break down of what robotics are is as follows:

1] Math processing and programming
2] Mechanics and design
3] R&D of finished products and applications
4] Bio feed back systems
5] Optical recognition and feed back [photonics]
6] Guidance systems and feed back
7] Character recognition
8] Hardware and software creation
9] Robot applications
10] Basic or Specialized Electronics applications R&D and repair<p>These are just some of the specialized fields and many over lap the other but there is several general fields like math, mechanics, electronics, and computer related fields to consider first. You need the basics first and you should consider the field you enjoy and are strong in before you tackle any robotic coarses. <p>ITT doses have some programs in robotics and you might inquire there first to get a feel for the subject as well as their counseling on job availability. Also Look up educational grants to pay for this if necessary? At two grand a month, the bill can be run up pretty high, fast? Don't pay for the basic coarses like electronic, do these in a JC for free or very low cost mostly on your own time. <p>You can study at home and challenge the test for almost nothing or just attend if your not too good at self discipline. Then go into the specialized field after you have that under your belt. Its nice to have about 40 to 50 credits in electronics before you start to pay through the nose for the specialized fields.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks for the input! I found a class I'm going to take, and hopefully I can find some other programs, too. I just wanted to say I really appreciate that people take the time to help out.
-Matt