sequence controller needed

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

sequence controller needed

Post by dacflyer »

i am looking for a controller for a traffic light, but not the typical USA sequence,
what i need i think requires maybe a e-prom or maybe a stamp. i hope you can follow this,,lol<p>the controller i want needs to run in a european sequence, ( Austria ) or ( Germany )<p>austrian sequence goes like this,,,,
red - 1st sequence
red + yellow - 2nd sequence
green , 3rd sequence
then
the green will blink 4x at about 1 sec timing
4 sequence.
yellow - 5th sequence
and then back to sequence 1 , if possible i need to be able to adjust these times to a maximum of 15 sec, for each part..<p>i was thinking it whould be easier if i could find a step or output ic circuit and then control it with a timer ic.. any suggestions are greatly appreciated..there is a 10 step ic, but it cannot be connected to make 30 steps,,knowhatimean ?
bodgy

Re: sequence controller needed

Post by bodgy »

A PIC or any other microprocessor would do the trick here. Alternativley a logic counter with some gates attached would do the trick. Though the flashing might be a bit harder to achieve.<p>If you didn't need the flashing bit I have some PIC code for the UK traffic light system. Same as above but no flashing.<p>bodgy<p>[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: bodgy ]</p>
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thanx, but i do need the flashing part,, what about a
on
off
on
off etc..programmed into the chip ?
that whould simulate the flashing effect?
if you do use a pic or stamp then i whould only need 3 out puts right? then i whould have the output goto a solid state relay..
what do you think ?
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Interface a 555 on that stage of the output just to flash. A Decade counter/Devider [4017] should allow you the sequencing, and another 555 would set that sequence rate. With 10 sequences per chip you might fit in two cycles on the one chip before it repeats?<p>[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</p>
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

555 will not be a exact working for the 4x flashes before the next function,
i need exactly 4 flashes , on 1 second each
and off 1/2 sec each then the light goes yellow....even if i use the ic's i was told theres no way to daisy chain them , and if i was to have 1-2 unused outputs, then i whould have dead light untill the cycle restarted..
if i could find something suitable for 30 steps,that whould accept a 1 sec clock pulse
( 555 ) then that whould work fine,,,
maybe is you can tell me how to daisy chain this ic, then it might be what i need... thanx
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

You can Daisy chain the 4017 as long as you want, to a point. I Need a email and I'll send you a copy of the original diagram with the cascading and connections. The 555 and 556 as well as 558 will do all of your timing cycles. Im not sure if they still sell the 558 any more, but there are a few around still.
555 timers can go from one pulse per every 400 hours, all the way to 100,000 pulses per second. Your 15 seconds will not be a problem.<p>[ February 09, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</p>
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

is it possible you can show me a schematic on how to connect 4017 to get 30 - 35 -40 steps, and if possible, is the unused output able to goto the reset? so that i can use only what outputs i need, and tie them ( as needed ) to 3 out puts?
1 for each lamp in the signal head..
i hope i am clear in my explaination...
thanx for replys
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

All yes's but I need a E-mail address to send you the BMP's. You can send one [yours] to me at [email protected]
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

my e-mail is...<p>[email protected]