Spark Generator

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
greg123

Spark Generator

Post by greg123 »

Looking for a device that can generate a spark between two electrodes. Sorta like a BBQ ignitor, but i don't want to take apart my BBQ.
russlk

Re: Spark Generator

Post by russlk »

You can buy an igniter at the hardware store, I think it uses a crystal of some kind. Or, an automitive ignition coil will make quite a spark.
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Wasn't there such a circuit in the TJ Byers column in last months N&V?<p>colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
Donald S. Lambert

Post by Donald S. Lambert »

I hope that you aren't thinking of a spark gape transmitter. If so the entire neighborhood will ride you ouit of town on a rail after a tar and feathering party. I remember reading of such a transmitter in a book published in the early 1900 prehaps 1912. It would broadcast on all wavelengths from long waves up into the ultra short waves.<p>But why do you need a spark creator? That will help with the answers. HTH Greybie.
Edd

Post by Edd »

1>Some versions of gas stoves( that didn't use a glow coil igniter) could provide
a free source of an igniter from the old stove graveyard.
2>Spend a whole dollar at the dollar store and get the pistol configured igniter/
lighter that utilizes a high voltage piezo-electric element in its design. BTW
it can be hopped up a bit by using a bit stronger spring to speed up/strengthen the
mechanical action utilized in enacting its activation.
3>If U happen to have a bit of electro/
/mechanical/constructive expertise, and
need a hotter spark you might consider :<p>http://home.golden.net/~kpwillia/drcirc.htm<p>For a demonstration click on induction coil for the potential of sparking that could be produced with a std $1 salvage car ignition coil and but a few extra aux parts.

73's de Edd
[email protected] (Interstellar~~~~~~~WARP~~~~~~~Speed)
[email protected] (Firewalled*Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)