LM380N-ND ? guitarist ?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Bernius1

LM380N-ND ? guitarist ?

Post by Bernius1 »

Got one in a box of misc. chips. Looked up Data sheet on the web. 2.5W audio amp in a 14-DIP, op-amp type w/quasi-comp output, diff-amp input, and a current mirror to supply them. Looks like a guitarist's dream. But the 'bypass' terminal.
Is that for offset voltage correction, or can I put a distortion signal/feedback into it ??
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
Edd

Re: LM380N-ND ? guitarist ?

Post by Edd »

No_vice:<p>WoW , I haven’t used such a bucolic unit, such as that, since the 80’s….moved on up to the Lm386 family of units, mainly used on squelched FM monitor receivers.. You must have the most liberal/generous requirements on systems power of any guitarist I’ve known……….then, of course, you did go on and allude to the distorting of the signal.
That unit typically uses ~1/2 ufd bypassing at that point to bypass,clean up and isolate that constant current source fed from up above down to the differential amp below. However, now who’s to say that you might not just experiment on low level modulating that pin to see what exotic sound effects you might get ??? That is if it doesn't cause break up into spurious oscillation.<p>73's de Edd
[email protected]........(Interstellar~~~Warp~~~~Speed)
[email protected].......(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Gee Edd,<p>I haven't used those old LM386's since the early '90s. ;) I seem to remember the LM386 as available in a TO-220 package back then, or is my memory deceiving me? I can only find them in DIP packages these days.<p>Bob
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
Edd

Post by Edd »

Bob:
The smallest ( DIP) unit in either the 8 pn or 16 pin offering was the LM380and (N) with its 2.5 watt offering. as per:
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM380.html
Then as you mentioned and thought the Lm386 as being in a TO-2220 encased unit…..but it wasn’t, it was also in the DIP casing and also a lower power unit. Where I was in error was the last digit, it was the LM 383 which IS in the TO-220 casing but with five leads. That was the unit that I was using. I see now that even this unit is in the obsolescent category for new design. It certainly would pump a 4 in speaker though, and even an eight inch unit that I had used in an audio/RF signal tracer instrument that I built !
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM383.html<p>La la la.....do you know the way to San Jose ....
:) :) :) <p>73's de Edd
[email protected]...………...(Interstellar~~~Warp~~~~Speed)
[email protected].......(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

Edd wrote:<p><snip>
"La la la.....do you know the way to San Jose ...."<p>Well, unfortunately I do, but I try not to use that bit of knowledge, except to go see my kids once in a while. :) <p>Ron