fireworks controller

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
zotdoc

fireworks controller

Post by zotdoc »

Does anyone out there have sources for schematics for a fireworks controller? I would like to set a bunch of fireworks off timed to patriotic music, maybe 200-300 seperate shells, possibly with an old pc for a controller. Any hints or ideas would be appreciated.
greg123

Re: fireworks controller

Post by greg123 »

As a licenced pyrotechnician and fireworks supervisor, I use the same system you are describing to fire my show. The systems used with computers are expensive, and for good reason. They have and require many safety features to ensure proper firing. <p>I wouldn't trust a home-made computer firing system.<p>However, you can make a manual firing system with a simple nail board connected to a 12V battery and some e-matches. Or you can make a system with push buttons. The system must have a keylock to enable firing and a dual step firing trigger. The higher end systems use a hand-held joystick with two buttons (one to arm the other to fire). <p>The fireworks can be ignited with a simle e-match.<p>Hope this helps<p>greg
chessman

Post by chessman »

I've never seen E-matches. I wish I had some though!<p>For my fireworks display, I wrote a simple program on my PC in Basic (heh, I said simple). Anyway, I had to press a button to ignite and then type a numerical pass-code.<p>It outputted over the parallel port to a little box, the box had manual control too. There was a keylock, as well as a computer link-active light, and an "arm" light. My buddy (he's in pyrotechnics for a magic show) told me you need to have an ARM light. lol.<p>For igniters, I simply took one strand of copper from some 18awg wire, wrapped it around the fuse a couple times, and ran 120VAC through it :D Under that high current, the copper strand gets REALLY hot (obviously) and pops, breaking the connection and also igniting the fuse. It's not very reliable, but it works when you're 16 and don't know where to get squibs.<p>~Kyle
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

a fella on Lopez Island in the Pacific NorthWest puts on one of the biggest fireworks shows up there.. I used to make a control cable for him every year.. I don't live in the Islands anymore so I'm not sure who makes it now... he has quite a set up and his firing system is quite a piece of art... If you wanted to get ahold of him to find out anything, he could be found through Bob Jarman at 360 378-1531, he's the Supv of the local phone company for the islands and knows the lopez guy well...
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
chessman

Post by chessman »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wayne:
a fella on Lopez Island in the Pacific NorthWest puts on one of the biggest fireworks shows up there.. I used to make a control cable for him every year.. I don't live in the Islands anymore so I'm not sure who makes it now... he has quite a set up and his firing system is quite a piece of art... If you wanted to get ahold of him to find out anything, he could be found through Bob Jarman at 360 378-1531, he's the Supv of the local phone company for the islands and knows the lopez guy well...<hr></blockquote><p>
Not this year, but next year, I'll have to contact the guy on Lopez. It's not that far to Annacortes from my house, maybe an hour and a half or so, then I could catch a ferry out there to Lopez to see his show. I'd like to check out exactly how he's doing it all, get some insider information for us :D <p>Unfortunately, I can't this year, because I'll be in Vegas over the 4th :p