Maxtronix lab kits/trainers

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
JackNash

Maxtronix lab kits/trainers

Post by JackNash »

I've recently become interested in electronics
again after a long, long hiatus. The Internet
truly is a wonderful tool, what with easy access
to datasheets, parts, sample circuits, and forums
like this. Unfortunately I've never had any sort
of formal education in electronics, and this
limits me mostly to cut-and-paste style projects.
I've learned much from reading/experimenting, and
am having a ball with PIC/Atmel microcontrollers.
But I don't have a good handle on the basics of
electronics. There are a lot of gaps.<p>Long story a little bit longer..... I'm wondering
if buying one of these kits would be a good way
to fill in the gaps. I'm hoping that a structured
A-Z approach (even if the kits are geared towards
a younger audience) might help.<p>Here are the two kits that look most promising:<p>http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bi ... &key=PL300<p>http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bi ... &key=PL500<p>Has anyone here used one of these? Regarding the
500-in-1 kit, does anyone know what type of uC
this is based around?<p>Could someone maybe recommend any other similar
kits?<p>Thanks guys.<p>Nash
rshayes

Re: Maxtronix lab kits/trainers

Post by rshayes »

Since I have not seen these specific kits in the flesh, my remarks will be general.<p>Kits similar to these have been available since at least the early 1960's. They all have had the potential of being a lab course in basic electronics.<p>The instruction manuals that come with the kits do not exploit that potential.<p>The 300 project kit has a 165 page instruction manual. This is about one-half page per project. A good fraction of that half page will be needed to describe how to assemble the project, leaving very little room for an explanation as to how the project works.<p>The government printing office used to offer some of the military training manuals for electronics. These can provide the background that the manuals for these kits usually lack.
rshayes

Re: Maxtronix lab kits/trainers

Post by rshayes »

The Navy has a series of modules (24 in all) meant for self-study by Navy personal. These are referred to as the Navy Electricity and Electronics Training Series (NEETS). They are on a web site (www.navyadvancement.com/navy-neets-module.php). They can be accessed in small sections or as entire modules in .PDF format. The size runs from 1.2 to over 7 megabytes per module.<p>These appear to cover the same material as the old printed technical manuals.