Really neat sch/pcb layout program

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
cheapNdisgusting

Really neat sch/pcb layout program

Post by cheapNdisgusting »

I've tried a bunch of different cad programs for drawing schematics and this one beats most all them in in the "EASY TO USE" catagory. It does regular schematics AND PCB board layouts.<p>It is very complete, and best of all, it is totally FREE. No trial period or slimmed down basic nothing.
http://www.expresspcb.com/
They operate a PC card etching business which I have not tried.<p> ;)
cNd
Mike

Re: Really neat sch/pcb layout program

Post by Mike »

I still prefer Eagle. It's free and there is no pressures all through the program to buy PCBs from them.<p>www.cadsoft.de<p>I think the quality and ease of use make eagle a better choice than expressPCB.
philba

Post by philba »

I tried expresspcb. It may be easy to use for some but, from my admittedly brief experience, it seems to lack some fairly basic features. As a consequence, it was hard for me to use. I just didn't see how I could lay out a board that looked halfway decent. it just seemed way too dumbed down.<p>Phil
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

The most basic feature that expressPCB lacks is that it does not generate Gerber files. You either have to order the boards from expressPCB or plot them out and make them yourself.<p>The production process and the software is basically intended to make two layer boards. Recently, they have added the capability for making four layer boards, but the two additional layers may be limited to power and ground planes.<p>On the plus side, the program is simple enough that it can be learned quickly. The file is quite compact, and can be transmitted in a few seconds over a dial up modem. Describing any board with Gerber files requires multiple files with several different file extensions. Checkiing a set of Gerber files often needs a separate file viewer.<p>The expressPCB program does not have an autorouter, and I consider this a plus. You can spend more time defining the rules for an autorouter than it can possibly save in layout time. The results are usually inferior to a hand routed board done by a reasonably capable person.<p>The software also will not fill areas with copper. It will draw rectangles however, and with a little effort you can approximate filled areas.
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

The most basic feature that expressPCB lacks is that it does not generate Gerber files. You either have to order the boards from expressPCB or plot them out and make them yourself.<p>The production process and the software is basically intended to make two layer boards. Recently, they have added the capability for making four layer boards, but the two additional layers may be limited to power and ground planes.<p>On the plus side, the program is simple enough that it can be learned quickly. The file is quite compact, and can be transmitted in a few seconds over a dial up modem. Describing any board with Gerber files requires multiple files with several different file extensions. Checkiing a set of Gerber files often needs a separate file viewer.<p>The expressPCB program does not have an autorouter, and I consider this a plus. You can spend more time defining the rules for an autorouter than it can possibly save in layout time. The results are usually inferior to a hand routed board done by a reasonably capable person.<p>The software also will not fill areas with copper. It will draw rectangles however, and with a little effort you can approximate filled areas.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

CheapnDisgusting:
I downloaded this file 6 mos. ago. At first it gave me fits on several hangups. Once I got by these, I came to love it. Have made up many custom components of my own and added them to library. I've tried others, but keep coming back to this one for ease and simplicity.
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

To expand on what stephen said: the problem with not using Gerber output (and part of the reason I don't use expresspcb) is that if the company goes out of business, you now have a bunch of PCB designs that no other company can build for you because they're described in their proprietary format.
I emailed them about this and confirmed that they will not accept Gerber files from other CAD software either.<p>You can plot them out and have films made, but this will be more expensive than sending Gerber/Excellon data.
cheapNdisgusting

Thanks for all the replies and opinions. Most of you sound like you are quite a couple steps ahead of me. Until I read the replies (honestly) I thought "Gerber" was a baby food. Iv'e never had a pcb MADE for me, as everything I do is on perf board.<p>I make a lot of different "one shot" projects and like to keep a schematic of them on file. Most all of mine are hand drawn and the Express is really easy for me.<p>But many years ago, I had training wheels on my bike.<p>Thanks again for all the opinions.
cNd
ezpcb

Post by ezpcb »

If you means the best, I think it should be allegro. but for hobbie circuit, it's over kill. I had designed a 16 layer boards which has 8 BGA chips, and the signal speed is up to 2.5G. Allegro is almost the only choice for such boards. For hobbie circuit, I think protel is excellent and easy to use, but it's not free
http://www.EzPCB.com
High Quality PCB for Electronics Hobbists, Pay for Chrokee, Get Land Rover
cheapNdisgusting

Can't edit my answer-- The last line was supposed to say "many years ago I had training wheels on my bike and I thought they were pretty neat also, but I also bought a "Flowbie".
cNd