Channel Surfer question

Get help with your Nuts & Volts projects or Kits purchased from Nuts & Volts here.
bconroy

Channel Surfer question

Post by bconroy »

The Feb. 2011 issue has an article by Andy Sullivan "Arduino channel surfer and other diabolical gadgets". The part number for the Arduino Mega board seems to be obsolete. I was wondering if all of the other boards would take the code or if only some boards would work? Also, the hookup of the IR to the board was not in the diagram. Is the hookup & other hardware information in the download section? My TV remote does not use the universal codes found in independant remotes so I want to capture the propriority IR fields for on/off, volume up/down etc. and then I want to set up a board that receives a universal remotes on/off/ volume IR pulses and translates those commands then sends the TV IR pulses to the TV. Can I do that with a smaller cheaper Arduino nano board?
adsullivan

Re: Channel Surfer question

Post by adsullivan »

The Arduino Mega2560 should work fine for the project. If your code list isn't too long, the Uno should be fine.

The IR hookup for scanning codes is shown in Figure 3 and 4. The reciever module is Radio Shack 276-640 or equivelent. I used a receiver module from a broken DVD player I took apart. Hook the signal line from Figure 4 to pin 2 on your board. Sample code Code_Collector.PDE from the downloads section should work. Let me know if you have issues.