Using a sound chip with a PIC or is there a kit?

Get help with your Nuts & Volts projects or Kits purchased from Nuts & Volts here.
arsenala13

Using a sound chip with a PIC or is there a kit?

Post by arsenala13 »

I'm working on an arcade game project with my boss. Long story short is that the game needs to output around eight different sounds depending on the game's output while playing.

What I'd like to do is use a PIC to trigger another system to output the sound like a switch would on a simple toy. However, I cannot find a kit or schematic that meets what I'm after. I'll need to record the sounds needed so hacking a toy won't work either.

I've looked at multiple articles online about using a PIC and and ISD17XX style chip using Serial Peripheral Interface but I'm obviously not there in terms of experience. It might as well be written in Greek.

Can anyone help me out here? I'm getting a bit overwhelmed from all my searching.

Thanks
Chupa

Re: Using a sound chip with a PIC or is there a kit?

Post by Chupa »

Would a radio shack voice recorder module work for you? Their $10 each so it would be costly to get 8.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2102855

I dont think there's anything else out there that's as simple as those modules. Every other idea I have at least is having to use a codec IC with memory and lots of programing.
---
Wait... what?
arsenala13

Post by arsenala13 »

Yeah, I thought going that route with the radio shack modules. I just thought that with almost every toy nowadays having some sort of voice chip that something similar would be easy to find as a kit.
VernGraner

Post by VernGraner »

arsenala13 wrote:I'm working on an arcade game project with my boss. Long story short is that the game needs to output around eight different sounds depending on the game's output while playing.
Possible option:

The "Soundgin" chip from Savage Innovations. It's sorta like a modern-day Commodore "SID" chip. :grin:

I bought a handful of these and played with them, even made some code for the BS2 to control the chip.

A good friend of mine created an online text to speech system to make source code for the soundgin's built-in voice synthesizer chip.

Its a neat little chip. :) Just my $0.02...

Vern
--
Vern Graner
BobbyDee

Post by BobbyDee »

I know this is an older thread with a good answer provided . I just wanted to add Roman Blacks "Talkbot Brain" as another way to get basic sounds from a pic chip. The quality depends on a variety of things...but the concept is neat.The brain is also a servo controller and there are many resources available at the Black Robotics website. I purchased one a while back and played around with it a bit. It has potential as it can do many short sounds and play them back on command.
BobbyDee