Reprogram Billy Bass

Get help with your Nuts & Volts projects or Kits purchased from Nuts & Volts here.
miked

Reprogram Billy Bass

Post by miked »

Maybe 20 years ago, N&V mag had a good article on re-programming the Billy Bass fish. It did not replace the current board, but re-programmed the existing chip.
I have contacted N&V, but while they recall the article, their archives do not extend that far back.
Does anyone have this article that could be copied?
Thanks, Mike :smile:
Nepo

Post by Nepo »

:D

HA! That’s a coincidence. I was talking with a friend the other day and subject of modding a Billy Bass came up. I would be interested in seeing that article as well.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Billy Bass is only about 8 - 9 years old. You can find info on him here as
well as a link near the bottom on how to mod him using Linux. That page
has a link to an embedded mod for "him" also.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
grant fair

More on modding Billy Bass

Post by grant fair »

Circuit Cellar Ink had a detailed article about 6 years ago - look through one of their indexes on the web.
Grant
sparkplug

Re: Reprogram Billy Bass

Post by sparkplug »

My parents have an old Billy Bass out in their garage and i am going to be visiting this summer. One question for creating the modifications. It is possible to expand the devices current capabilities, or only to replace what is already there with a determined amount of space? It would be cool to have the fish seem normal and all of a sudden blurt out an obscenity or threat, haha. With electronics, my specialty is testing devices like a wood moisture meter, but this seems like it would be a pretty fun electronics project to take on.