Wanted - 68 pin SIMM socket

List your items for sale, trade, or give away here.
Private party only - NO commercial ads allowed
dhpalmer

Wanted - 68 pin SIMM socket

Post by dhpalmer »

Hi all,
I'm looking for about 20 68 pin SIMM sockets. The part is obsolete and I can't find them at any of the usual places (DigiKey, etc).
The part is an AMP part number 821824-2 they are .050" centers
Any help locating a source is appreciated.
Thanks
cae2100

Re: Wanted - 68 pin SIMM socket

Post by cae2100 »

what would you need an odd socket that old for? If you look for old apple computer graphics cards, they seem to have used the 68 pin sockets and memory on those, so you might just be able to desolder some from there.
dhpalmer

Post by dhpalmer »

cae2100 wrote:what would you need an odd socket that old for? If you look for old apple computer graphics cards, they seem to have used the 68 pin sockets and memory on those, so you might just be able to desolder some from there.
Using an old Dallas Semiconductor part called a T1 Stik to read data off a T1 line.
Good idea about the old computer boards, must be some with that size sockets.
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

ok, Ive looked all over the place and the 68 pin connector just seems to be a proprietary socket used for a very short time on video cards that went into ancient macintosh computers and by the dallas semiconductor TINI boards. Ive noticed that the sockets for 68 pin and 72 are very similar, but you might just need to get creative to get the board to stick in the 72 pin if the tabs dont catch. I highly doubt that you'll be able to find the 68 pin simm socket anywhere but my best guess would be to just try to use the 72 pin connectors, they should be fairly cheap, so just check on ebay for those sockets and grab one to test it, then if it works, get more.

If you really get in a jam, you could always try to just solder a dual row of pins to the contacts, Ive done that before for stubborn stuff like that.
dhpalmer

Post by dhpalmer »

cae2100 wrote:ok, Ive looked all over the place and the 68 pin connector just seems to be a proprietary socket used for a very short time on video cards that went into ancient macintosh computers and by the dallas semiconductor TINI boards. Ive noticed that the sockets for 68 pin and 72 are very similar, but you might just need to get creative to get the board to stick in the 72 pin if the tabs dont catch. I highly doubt that you'll be able to find the 68 pin simm socket anywhere but my best guess would be to just try to use the 72 pin connectors, they should be fairly cheap, so just check on ebay for those sockets and grab one to test it, then if it works, get more.

If you really get in a jam, you could always try to just solder a dual row of pins to the contacts, Ive done that before for stubborn stuff like that.
Thanks for the ideas. I have been looking at soldering onto the fingers with .1" single row connectors. Guess that may be what I have to do.