HughesNet System....Long Gone

List your items for sale, trade, or give away here.
Private party only - NO commercial ads allowed
Lenp

HughesNet System....Long Gone

Post by Lenp »

I just upgraded to a cable ISP and terminated my service with HughesNet
I have the oval disk, mount, transponder and the new satellite modem with power supply and docs.
You will need 2 runs of RG-6 and to have it commissioned to get online. Expect speeds of 760K with 1M bursts, close to DSL, but way better than dial-up. This equipment was in operational service until early this week when the transition was made.

Offers anyone?

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
psycho

Re: HughesNet System

Post by psycho »

I am jealous! I wish I could upgrade to anything other than hughes. Their Fair Access Policy is NOT fair! Though yesterday they started a program to where you can buy a code that will "unFAP" you. They give you one free per month. Not to mention it is WAY more expensive than the other high speed. I live too far out in the boonies to get cable or DSL. We have Directv which sucks, too but thats all we can get :mad:

Kevin
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Psycho,

My sympathies!
I am also in a rural area. For 22 years Comcast stopped their service a half mile in each direction from me. Earlier this year they finally made it available but it took months foir them to actually realize it and to connect me. Fortunately the internet service is 10M-20M speeds. There are no rain fade issues or uneasonable FAP's to be concerned with. (Hughes' lies, "May experience a reduction in speed that will affect browsing' Hey, they drop you to 22K. That's not a reduction, that's a denial of service. You have issues with server timeouts just getting email)

The TV side is OK but Direct TV has a much better search engine to find shows. The Comcast system is a 1980's technology search engine. One advantage of the TV side is that they still simulcast analog so CATV ready TV's will receive the non-digital broadcasts without help. Someday they will switch to all digital and converters or upgraded TV's will be required. I'm not sure yet if we'll keep the TV side but the internet is a obviously a done deal.

Comcast ISP, bundled with TV is cheaper than Hughes, but alone it is about the same.

Len
Len

psycho

Post by psycho »

Wow! 22 years... We have "only" been waiting 10 years. We call about cable and DSL every few months and they tell us the same thing every time. I am sure you know the drill.

Kevin
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Yea, I even offered to pay to get it extended and they quoted some big dollars. If I did pay, they owned the cable and if others connected, I would not get a rebate. No Deal! The cable got extended just about the time the Givernment stuffed the Digital Transition prod you know where. Strange huh! During those years I was lucky to get dialtone without a chorous of hums and static. After complaining to the PSC they actually rewired my service to a local SLC and all got better, except DSL is still not available and FIOS is not a word we'll ever hear around here!
Good luck...
Len
Len

Lenp

Re: HughesNet System still not gone

Post by Lenp »

Hey guys, the birds will be nesting in the dish soon. Get off dial-up, let's make a deal!
Len

psycho

Post by psycho »

For anyone else unfortunate enough to have Hughesnet, contact you congressman & state rep. This is what I sent to mine:

-----------------------------
I am probably wasting my time (as I have been for the past 10 years), but, I have asked everyone else so I'll ask you.

In our area, the only high-speed internet access we can get is via satellite. This option is very expensive and very limiting. We can't watch any videos or do anything that is bandwidth intensive because if we download more than 400 megabytes in any 24 hour period, we will be subjected to Hughesnet's Fair Access Policy - this will take our high speed internet down to BELOW dial-up speed for 24 hours (minimum). I won't even go into what happens to the signal when thunderstorms roll in.

I would have swore that when the stimulus package was passed, I heard that broadband for rural areas was on that list... It must have been in a dream.

With kids in school and I am returning to school (Ivy Tech) in the summer, we NEED reliable high-speed internet access just like everyone in the city gets. Access to unlimited and reliable high-speed internet is a requirement in this day and age.

Every few months we call the broadband providers and they always say it is not available in our area. This has gone on for 10 (TEN!!!) years - starting when we wanted to get cable TV. And, no... We still don't have cable TV, either. We have to pay the big bucks for Directv - which, by the way, is nowhere near as good as cable no matter what their commercials say.

Mind you, I am not alone in the quest for better internet; there are a slew of folks in the same position I am - you either have dial-up (pretty much useless) or you have a very restrictive and expensive satellite service. The satellite companies know they have us by the testicles so they can do anything they want - they are the only choice we have.

Is there anything you can do to help out the forgotten citizens???

-----------------------

I doubt anything will come of it but if enough people send complaints, maybe...

And, no - I don't want to get into a political conversation - any posts about politics will be ignored.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

psycho,
I completely understand your frustration. I experienced the same lousy Hughes service, timeouts getting email and the overbearing "you may see some decrease in browsing speed" FAP that actually dropped you to below dial up speeds for 24 hours. Even if I upgraded to the business $ervice plan, there was no guarantee of significantly improved performance. Fiber is way off the map and DSL still is not available here. I'm lucky to get dial tone without noise!

Hughes is the only game in town for many people and they know it. I hope cable comes your way soon....
Rumor is their next transceiver upgrade will have a dollar bill acceptor!

Len
Len

cheapNdisgusting

Post by cheapNdisgusting »

Thanks for the info on Hughes. I'm stuck with dial-up also.
cNd