Kronos Flyer Series

msimpson

Kronos Flyer Series

Post by msimpson »

Please feel free to ask me questions directly concerning the Kronos Flyer series.

I will also be posting updates as the series progresses.
msimpson

Bill of Materials Update

Post by msimpson »

The 18Amp Turnigy Plush ESC's are now available at the HobbyKing USA warehouse.

I have a complete and updated bill of materials for this project at:
http://www.kronosrobotics.com/multiroto ... ndex.shtml
wheagy

Re: Kronos Flyer Series

Post by wheagy »

Michael,

Good article....two questions for you:

1) Why did you choose the flight controllers that you used, and

2) Could you please comment on the Open Pilot boards and Hoverfly boards?

Thanks,

Win
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Let me start by answering the first question.

When I started this project I did a lot of research and purchased several controller boards on the low end of the spectrum. The KK2 board was one of these. I found it always in stock and very easy to hook up and configure. While tuning this board can be a real challenge, it does work. The other KK boards I tested did work, but some required firmware updates to change configuration.
On the low end for $29 the KK2 board gives you a lot for you dollar.
I also tested some middle of the road boards based on the multiWii. Like I said in the article I have yet to get a craft in the air with one of these. I’m sure if I worked on it and installed the programming software I could eventually get a craft in the air. They have other issues though which I just did not have time to work out.
On the high end It was the NAZA all the way. They are available for sale by both US and overseas distributers. They have a GPS upgrade and I can’t put it any clearer, will fly the KronosFlyer by simply setting the motor layout and calibrating your radio. While you can tune the settings, I have had people who have never flown an RC craft in their life flying the KRonosFlyer with this controller installed.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Hoverfly boards

I had contacted hoverflytech about gaining access to one or more of their boards. I explained what I was doing and what I needed. They did not even bother to answer be back.

I did more research anyway:

HoverflySPORT
This one was not even listed when I started my initial research into controller, so its a fairly new entry. I felt for the amount of money they wanted it just does not offer enough features.

No accelerometer support
No GPS support
No Barometer

It’s a close competitor for the $29 KK2 and the KK2 board supports more configurations and has a three axis accelerometer. For $5 more you can get a self contained NAZA that a beginner can fly just about any configuration.

HoverflyPro
When I could not get the company to get me one of these I decided to look into it in more detail to see it would be worth shelling out the $450. What I found was a lot of unhappy customers due to some problems with the current firmware. While the problems may have been fixed, the fact that they want an extra $450 for the GPS, and refused to answer my contact, lead me to look elsewhere for a controller.

I am glad I did as that’s when I discovered the NAZA.

The Hoverfly products may indeed be very good products, I have yet to test them. At this point I can only go by the features listed on their web site and by the issues I found online. Maybe sometime in the future I can get my hands on one and try them out on my various craft.
Tacrose

Post by Tacrose »

I am greatly enjoying your articles and am highly anticipating the next issue - so much so that I have already assembled a prototype frame similar to your design and am awaiting the arrival of my HobbyKing shipment.

My question is, what CAD software are you using for the renderings? I have searched for 3d CAD models of motors, esc's, etc. but have not had much success finding much. Do you have a source for these that you can share?
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

I used AutoCAD for those. I created all the models from scratch. I have just switch over to Autodesk Inventor. It has the ability to model wires and seems to be much better at rendering.

I am just about done modeling the Kronos Flyer. Here are a couple renderings.

I was going to use the model when I do the ESC setup, but I think I will do it the old fashioned way with pictures.

I am modeling the NAZA controller now and will use the inventor renderings in the next article.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

What motors did you end up going with the NTM or the Sk3? I am also testing some Tiger motors for use with the Kronos Flyer. I want builders to have a lot of options. The Tiger motors are nice motors, but will cost you $50 each.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

openpilot boards

Also known as the CC or CopterControl board.

This board looks to be as good as the NAZA for stability and control, and I would love to have tested one on my craft. The problem is, they are never in stock. I mean never. They are not in production so they only make a hand full at a time and they sell out instantly.

I have been checking the site for the last 6 months on a regualar basis and have never found them in stock. Even if I could get my hands on one, it does not make sence to write an article on a product that is so hard to get.

FYI I just checked and they are out of stock.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Just a reminder folks. If you plan on setting up your motors and ESC's, you will need the appropriate programming card for the ESC, and a servo tester. These are inexpensive but very popular items. Don't wait till the last minute to pick them up. The links are in the BOMon the Kronos Robotics web site.

Don't panic with the words programmer. The card simple connects to the ESC and lets you make changes to its internal settings by hitting buttons, or setting jumpers (depending on the card).

The servo tester will be used to calibrate the ESC's and test motor direction.
BoWingo

Post by BoWingo »

msimpson wrote:Just a reminder folks. If you plan on setting up your motors and ESC's, you will need the appropriate programming card for the ESC, and a servo tester. These are inexpensive but very popular items. Don't wait till the last minute to pick them up. The links are in the BOMon the Kronos Robotics web site.
I don't see a servo tester on the BOM linked above. Do you have one that you'd recommend?
Thanks for all of the info so far. I'm looking forward to building along with everyone.
Also, I love your beautiful 3D renderings. Good job on those.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

No problem. I just added it to the ESC section of the BOM page.

HobbyKing sells many others. The one shown only costs $6 and I have found that it works very well. Also if you hook your ESC control cable up backwords it blinks to let you know you have done something wrong.
BoWingo

Post by BoWingo »

Cool. Thanks.
msimpson

New Tiger Motors

Post by msimpson »

Ok folks, I got some new tiger motors on the way. They are 2208 1100kv and should mate up to the Kronos Flyer very well. These are expensive motors and are priced at $41 each. But are top of the line motors.

Once I get a set installed on the Kronos Flyer I will post the results, and if successful links to the actual product from my source. I don’t want anyone to rush out and buy them until I have had a chance to test them with the craft. A lot of times things look good on paper but just don’t workout in reality.
BoWingo

Post by BoWingo »

I notice that your 3D renderings show spinners on all of the props, but it doesn't look like they're included in your BOM (unless they happen to come with the Turnigy motors as accessories). Is there a benefit to running spinners? Are they worth adding?