Kronos Flyer Series

mlgpilot

Re: Kronos Flyer Series

Post by mlgpilot »

This post is a report on what I found after I took my Kronos Flyer apart looking for possible bad connections that may be causing my XT60 connectors to fail. Well lo and behold the bad connection was the power leads that go to the power distribution board. The two male gold plated studs inside the XT60 power board connector are bifercated and the pins were compressed such that they were not making positive connections inside the mating XT60 battery connector. They had lost their "springeness". I spread the 4 pin elements of each gold stud apart slightly and they are now making much better contact. Considering how much current is passed through those connectors it is no wonder they got hot.

Thanks,

Mike
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

The motors and props used will support a gopro and FPV transmitter. While I have run the DJI gopro 3 gimbal on a kronosflyer it does not have the extra power you may want. I like running 5000 4cell on FPV systems.

Here is a hex I use for FPV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esxRBwFwrVo

You can add larger props to the Kronosflyer if you add some leg extenders. You can also add an isolation platform which I really recommend for an FPV system.

Check out my FRMP system here:
http://www.kronosrobotics.com/flying-ro ... r-platform
mlgpilot

Post by mlgpilot »

Mr. Simpson,

I notice on your FRMP flyer that the motors have spinners? I like the look of thos spinners but I have not been able to find any for the hexTronix DT-700. I tried HobbyKing and Atlanta Hobby, could you please let me know where your sourced those spinners?

Thanks.

On a second topic, do you have any advise on how to modify the Kronos Flyer, hardware or software settings, so it can do flips and rolls? I have not had many crashes lately, time to push the envelop.

Thanks again,

Mike
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

No spinners available for the DT700 motors.
mlgpilot

Post by mlgpilot »

Michael,

Question regarding the FRMP equipment platforms: Can they be used by themselves without using the vibration isolation platform? If so, could you please provide some sort of a exploded view so I can figure out to mount them on my new Kronos bottom frame.

I have the feeling that the isolation platform must be used to support the upper platforms?

Thanks

Mike G.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

The isolation platform is only needed if you want to use a camera or FPV. It is used to keep the vibration from interfering with the cameras. In addition some controllers like the APM my need some isolation or they will perform badly.

The isolation platform has the same hole pattern on the top as the Kronos Flyer platforms. That said the FRMP component plat form was designed to mount to the isolation platform. Their are some holes on the component platform that mate with the kronos platform. You can use these to attach the component platform directly with the kronos flyer. You will need to add some washers as the holes are too large for #6 hardware. You can use rubber washers to add a little isolation (Not a lot).

Sorry I don't have a exploded view of this configuration.
mlgpilot

Post by mlgpilot »

Michael,

Thank you very much for your help. I see how the FRMP platform holes do line up with the Kronos Flyer holes. Maybe I can find some isolators that may fit. It just may be easier to just buy the isolation platform.

Thanks

Mike G
mlgpilot

Post by mlgpilot »

Michael,

Any chance you have a design for taller gear legs for the Kronos Flyer up your sleeve? On the larger version of the flyier I want to hang a gimbal and camera underneath so the standard gear will not work. I saw some "crab leg gear on HobbyKing but not sure how they might attach. I estimate I need about 6" of ground clearance.

Thanks,

Mike G
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

I have designed taller legs for my drone book. The goal is to give enough clearance for a gimbal.
mlgpilot

Post by mlgpilot »

Ok, that begs the question, when will the book be available?
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

I ran out of room in my current lab and shop. I am in the process of building a new one (Converting a barn I built a while back). Wont do any more books or articles until the conversion is complete.

Here is my blog for the conversion:
http://www.obsessiveme.com/new-shop-and-lab/
mlgpilot

Post by mlgpilot »

In that case, any chance of glimpsing the leg design now?

Thanks,

Mike
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

No.

Just take the existing legs and use them as a pattern to create some larger legs.
mlgpilot

Post by mlgpilot »

I am building a slightly larger Kronos Flyer using the FRMP system and I also decided to "play" with the KK2.1.5 flight controller, I have a NAZA on my std Kronos Flyer. I have a couple of questions:
1) Where does the battery mount on the FRMP design? I plan to hang a gimbal under the quad.
2) I have tuned and tweaked the KK2 and the last big tuning problem is that the quad acts like a yo-yo. Either it is climbing or it is dropping. I can control it but I can never find just the right throttle setting for a stable hover. I thought Height Damping might be the cure but I have it set to about 80 and while it is better, it is not really stable.

To be fair, after many hours flying behind a NAZA, maybe this is as good as it gets. I have seen videos where the KK2 quad is hovering and stable.

Just trying to learn a new flight controller, any help from out there would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

You can mount the battery anywhere you want as long as it is centered. Top or bottom. However, if you are using a isolation platform, the battery should go on the top of the FRMP component platform. This way the isolation platform can do its job better with the added mass on the clean side of the platform.

I was never able to get a KK2 board to run stable. I think its a hoax. I have owned several of them and even with updated firmware and tons of net research could I have even a fraction of what I get with a NAZA or even a APM.