Beyond Arduino Interactive Alphabet

krzysiekf

Beyond Arduino Interactive Alphabet

Post by krzysiekf »

Hi,

I downloaded the program from A. Retallack's site but can not make it work.
I changed the fuses from default to this: CKDIV8: NOT ACTIVE, SUT_CKSEL: EXTOSC_8MHZ_XX_16CK_14CK_0MS.
I don't understand fully these settings but when checked with some other program if the delays were generated correctly, they were. Still I got some characters from the alphabet, not all, with some other characters beyond the desired range.

I am very new to this and have no further ideas how to proceed. I will appreciate any suggestions and pointers.
Thanks alot. krzysiekf
aretallack

Re: Beyond Arduino Interactive Alphabet

Post by aretallack »

Hi

Thanks for posting about your challenge. Can I check that I understand correctly - with the fuse settings you have applied, you are getting accurate delays? So if you flash an LED at a 10 sec interval, and time it with a stopwatch, the timing is correct (obviously longer intervals are better for manual timing, in the absence of a scope).

If timing is correct, can I check that the terminal on your PC is correctly configured at 9600 baud, 1 stop bit, 8 data bits and no parity? Which terminal program are you using?

A final check -can you share what USB-Serial convertor you are using? Are you able to check that it works correctly with another development board (even an Arduino, if you connect it to the Tx/Rx/GND pins)?

Thanks
Andrew
----------------------------------------------------
Andrew Retallack
Crash-Banger, Prototyper, Designer, Developer, Author
aretallack

Post by aretallack »

Update: We resolved this offline - the problem lay with the USB-Serial module.
----------------------------------------------------
Andrew Retallack
Crash-Banger, Prototyper, Designer, Developer, Author
krzysiekf

Post by krzysiekf »

Thank you very much, Andrew.
You have been most helpful.
Yeah, I was trying to talk to my 5V ATmega328P through USB to RS232/15V adapter, so no wonder I was getting the wrong characters and ultimately I rendered the IC unusable!
I got myself USB to RS232/5V adapter/cable and now everything works as it supposed to. :grin:
Ready for new challenges.
Thanks.