PC based function generators

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
fwadmin

PC based function generators

Post by fwadmin »

I have software that connects to special engine hour meters that measure the pulse output (sine wave) from an alternator to determine if the machine is idling or running. To test the meters on the bench I usually hook them up to a function generator and turn up and down the frequency.

I want to set up demos of the meters where I can demonstrate the engine off, idling, and running. Are there any software based function generators that have an API or other means of programming so I can set up a nice demo for the marketing people?
desy2820

Post by desy2820 »

Check the back of your present function generator for a GPIB interface. If it has one, it can be remotely controlled/programmed. You'll need an interface or adapter of some kind for the computer, a GPIB cable and software. Check the makers website, you may be able to find free sotfware and more info about GPIB.

Alternately, if the frequencies you need are in the audio range, you could use a computer's sound card as the "function generator." You'll probably need an amplifier to boost the output voltage though.

I'm not sure on the software side, I'm thinking maybe use Audacity to continously loop a sound file at the frequencies you need.

I hope this helps, or at least gives you food for thought.
VernGraner

Re: PC based function generators

Post by VernGraner »

fwadmin wrote:Are there any software based function generators that have an API or other means of programming
Don't know if there is an API, but one of the best software-based audio function generators I know of is Room EQ Wizard, a free java-based software package for doing area acoustic analysis. It even interfaces with some programmable EQs to allow you to automatically tweak a room flat. :cool:

Hope this helps. :smile:

Vern
--
Vern Graner