Building a...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
keymaker

Building a...

Post by keymaker »

I want to make something that I can sell for $1000<p>I cant say what it is, since kids might read this...<p>I can give you clues here<p>It's called a S_B_AN<p>
I figure I could easily craft a mold for the case, But what kind of motor do I need??<p>I could buy the "attachments" from the regular dealers..<p>I BET I COULD MAKE A S))))) for $40 PARTS!<p>
How do I make a mold I can pour the case in??<p>I want to turn these out 1 an hour and make them at home..
keymaker

Re: Building a...

Post by keymaker »

PS: How do I include GFI or whatever??<p>Like those things that sense when it's shorting to ground...<p>I don't want to have to tell the customers "BE SURE TO WEAR SHOES AND DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING IN THE ROOM"<p>And I don't want to get sued either...<p> :D
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Uh. i'd like to buy a vowel please..lol<p>i have no clue to the item you want to build,, but you can tell me in a e-mail if you wish to,, [email protected]
ok,,,
unknown_entity

Post by unknown_entity »

no idea what you're talkin about but to hook up a GFI to something, There are 4 screws 2 marked "line" the other 2 "load". The line side goes to the 120V from the wall. The hot wire goes to the gold screw and the neutral goes to the silver one, it's the same for the load side.
Then you just hook up the 2 wires to the load side.<p>If you don't want a GFI with outlets on it go to an electrical supply house and ask for a faceless GFI.
unknown_entity

Post by unknown_entity »

oh one more thing GFI's don't need to be grounded to work. They work by sensing a difference in current between the hot and neutral wire. It only takes about 30Ma differenct to set one off.
So you can use a 2 prong plug instead of a 3.
josmith

Post by josmith »

You can buy a gfi to go on the line cord for about twenty bucks.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

"It's called a S_B_AN"<p>OK. I'll give it a go. Pat, is it "Suburban"? If so, you can buy them from a car dealer, but for a bit more than $1000 unless it's in really lousy shape!<p>By the way, I'm trying to find a neat deal where somebody will sell me 100,000 new-in-the-box-with-fresh-Energizers 5-cell Maglights for a penny each so that I can resell them for $10 each. The color doesn't matter.<p>Dean
;)
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

Jesus Christ Lord Almighty<p>Wish I could buy things 100,000 at a time<p>And they make FIVE CELL MAG LIGHTS??? <p>Hell yea, WHERE?
:) :) :) <p>
PS: It's not a suburban... I thought the adults would get it, Geez folks.. It's a "naughty" device made for women and is also known to be used by fags..
And it costs about $1300
And I could make them with $40 parts and make a killing...<p>I just need to know what kind of motor to use and all that!<p>Now do you know??? :D
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

Hold it man a PENNY EACH? No way I thought you said a DOLLAR<p>
heh<p>A penny. Heh.<p> :D
Gary

Post by Gary »

Sorry, I'm not very sophisticated either, apparently.<p>Is this a Japanese word you are using?<p>If you are talking about some kind of V_br_t_r, all you need is a low voltage motor and an off-center flywheel.<p>Or are you talking about something used as a hardware lock, called a D_ngl_? Or something even more kinky.<p>Inquiring minds want to know...
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

Alright if yall don't know, Check out
www.sybian.com<p>I want to build them and sell them to women here and maybe teach them how to use it.... Uh, AHEM<p>If my better half don't mind....<p>And she will...<p> :mad:
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

As already stated to vibrate something all that is needed is a small motor and an egocentric wheel. That's how the vibrate works on a mobile phone - take a look at the little cog thingy near the battery.<p>Why on earth would you want to make this an AC device? I've heard of putting a spark back into your life, but this seems a bit excessive.<p>On a serious note make it re-chargeable with a cutout to stop it being used whilst plugged into the mains. My cousin was killed by electrocution when the insulation failed on a similar style device.<p>bodgy
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

Where can I get one of those egocentric wheels??<p>
She (I hope it's she) wouldn't have died on my machine! Ima put GFI in there!
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

I assume a GFI is what I know as an RCD (Residual Current Detect(Device)), even so it triggers at an imbalance of ~20mA. Now 20mA is actually high enough to cause injury to the human body under certain circumstances. Even though an RCD should break fast enough to nullify this, if a fault and it does happen should occur in the RCD then it is useless and one fried person. You might assume people press the TEST button at regular intervals but assuming I'm not that abnormal I only test the RCD that is connected to the lawnmower - my workbench I tend to forget.<p>Don't forget it is quite possible for this type of device to be used where conductive fluids might be- bathrooms, laundries and of course the human body itself. <p>Just encasing a device in plastic does not make it a class2 (doubley insulated) item.
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

Well, I want it to be 100% safe..<p> Hmm.<p>Rechargable batteries, eh..<p>
How can I make sure they'll last a long time? I bet some women would want to use it for several hours...<p> How about THIS:<p>Run it off of a 12v powersupply?? Maybe even a wallwart type deal? And I could put it inside the case, so it'd have a regular plug in...<p> See if Ima sell these for $500-$1000, I don't mind spending a bit, I just don't know a whole lot about this shit<p>
I want it to be safe and ROCK THEIR WORLD SO MUCH THEY'LL BUY 3 MORE<p>
THnaks for the replies so far keep them... :)