Car Cries for Help!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Turbine

Car Cries for Help!

Post by Turbine »

I wanna make my car alarm cry for help when it goes off. Beging able to pickup the singal on a small pagerlike device. I wanna be able to pick this signal up from around 1 - 2 miles away.<p>I'm very new to electronics (3 days) so the only problem i can't figure out is the communication of the 2 devices.<p>Any help would be greatly appreciated.<p>-Dan Williams
Chris Smith

Re: Car Cries for Help!

Post by Chris Smith »

Rig up the alarm to dial a cell phone which auto dials your pager.
Turbine

Post by Turbine »

The cost of having 2 cell phones and a pager would be prohibitive of this solution. I was thinking of a solution using a par of the 2-way radio's that have been gaining popularity. They have the range needed, only problem is interfacing them to the STAMP....<p>-Dan
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Cell phones are the cheapest way. Some companies offer two for the price of one and some companies give them away with their service plan. Pagers are less than ten bucks a month and again a lot of them give you one free pager with their service plan. No interfacing, no guess work, just use the approved system. The only interface is the alarm to "send" button. The other way will probably cost you far more and a lot of work interfacing the equipment, because you will still need some way of connecting to the satellite to get back to your pager? [phone lines?]
Turbine

Post by Turbine »

Although this is a viable solution it is not what I had in mind. If anyone has any ideas concerning shortwave or other radio technoligies please leave me a msg.