Technical Dictionary

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Bob Scott

Technical Dictionary

Post by Bob Scott »

Ever since N&V updated the look of this web space, I can't find the handy technical dictionary. I found it handy to look up geek achronyms.

Does anybody know of another one out here in webland?
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Just books,..... all 10,000 or 100,000 of the names, acronyms, and slang.

I gave up back in the late 80s.

Its not worth it as things change by the minute.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Chris Smith wrote:Just books,..... all 10,000 or 100,000 of the names, acronyms, and slang.
Hi Chris, I have a Radio Shack Dictionary of Electronics.
Its not worth it as things change by the minute.
I think a web version has the ability to be updated periodically....something the book can't do.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I have several 5 pound books full of acronyms, definitions, [literally] etc, but they just keep changing,... so what are we to take serious?

It reminds me of the "Valley Girls",... "gag me with a spoon", but what does tomorrow have to say?

Back then they tried to be scientific, but today they just roll with the punches, way ahead of Webster’s?

It has become a mess, so I think only the web may be able to keep up with the dozens of the SAME usages of the same letters or words.

It was a simpler life back then?
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

Wikipedia? Google?
mnboy

Post by mnboy »

I've used this one in the past. It's pretty decent.

http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/
philba

Post by philba »

Actually, I find Wikipedia to be increasingly useful to me. I'm sure that will draw some sort of negative comment from some but it's really quite good as an introduction to an area or for looking up a term. It may not be fully authoritative but it's better than a typical dictionary which may be out of date or not have had peer review.
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Hi Philba,
I love Wikipedia, BUT, would advise using a few other references as well. After watching a show on how just anyone can edit or add listings to Wikipedia with my wife, I added this line to the biography of David Dixon Porter...."He married Jessica Marie Sanford in 1824". I waited a few days after we watched the broadcast mentioned, and then forwarded the link to her. Jessie just thought it was "So cool" that he had a wife with the same name as hers! She is a smart lady, but sometimes seeing things in print legitimizes them, and she bought it! My little caveat for the group.
Dave
philba

Post by philba »

No question that wikipedia can be gamed. However, a subject such as electronics gets the benefit of continuous peer review. Go and make a nonsense change to an electronics article. You will see that it will get correct fairly quickly. In addition, I too recommend people look beyond the article.

Perfect? No.
Better than some random book? Probably.
Better than some random website? Definitely.
Should you rely on it solely? absolutely not.
redrocker

Post by redrocker »

Here is another electronics dictionary
http://www.electronicdefinitions.com/