Notice to All Advertisers and Posters

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
MrAl

Notice to All Advertisers and Posters

Post by MrAl » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:14 pm

------ NOTICE TO ALL ADVERTISERS and POSTERS------

THIS SITE DOES NOT ALLOW COMMERCIAL ADVERTISMENTS TO
BE POSTED IN ANY PART OF THIS FORUM, NOR DOES IT ALLOW
ANY OFF COLOR LINKS SUCH AS THOSE THAT DIRECT THE BROWSER
TO ADULT CONTENT WEB SITES.
SLANDER TOWARD OTHER MEMBERS IS ALSO FORBIDDEN AS PEOPLE
DO NOT LIKE TO BE OPENLY MOCKED.

ANY POSTS THAT DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE ABOVE WILL BE
DELETED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION AND HAVE A GOOD DAY!

Notes:
1. PM me with a link if you have been offended by someones post.
2. If you think someone should be banned you have to talk to an admin.

It's not that hard to be civil...have a little compassion for others :smile:
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.

MrAl

Post by MrAl » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:40 am

Hello again,

I just wanted to let people know that to produce a smile you can
either select one of the "Emoticons" at the left of your browser or
you can type the following:

colon,smile,colon

where 'colon' means to type a colon :
and 'smile' means to type that word without quotes, and dont
use any commas and it will look like this:
:smile:
In other words, type:
: smile :
without spaces

I am posting this because the usual:
colon,dash,closeparen " : - ) "
produces a face who's expression is rather hard to determine:
:-)
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.

Pius

Post by Pius » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:58 am

Dear MrAl

I too often type faster than I spell and so the world looks at this type of message with patience, I hope. It is sad that you have to post such obvious behaviour rule to adults. I feel that those of us who build robots should know better. I believe that building such wonders of the modern world makes us better as we progress and that every single person should try it.
Hopefully there will not be a need to warn those out there to be polite and civil. Take care, I just love this site and will be in and out several times a day. Happy robot building!!!!

ronniereeder

Re: Notice to All Advertisers and Posters

Post by ronniereeder » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:23 pm

I just made a posting to "General" about this guy asking for two transistors and I mentioned commercial sites.
Sorry,
I will not let it happen again
RRR

haklesup

Re: Notice to All Advertisers and Posters

Post by haklesup » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:30 pm

ronniereeder, that kind of reference in a reply is generally Okay (in my opinion others can disagree). It's not like you were directing them to your website so you could profit. Many of us refer to places we like to shop and even reference ebay auctions or a few popular catalog sites. Besides, your references weren't even links, just quoted names of websites. Ultimately we all have to buy parts for our projects, sharing about places to do that is sometimes the reply that's asked for.

The spirit of the ban is aginst SPAM in particular which we have had sporatic problems with. In many cases that spam is not even about electronics or technical products. A few more creative spammers will post a technical comment (not really a question) then dangle a link in their signature they hope to have us click through.

The moderators are quite intellegent and can spot real SPAM quite readily. I have yet to see a bot that will read a post and make replies with contextually correct links to commercial sites. However that will probably happen eventually. Heck, if one does, it may be welcomed as an automatic search assistant if its posting frequency is appropriately low.

Occasionaly a veteran or new poster will post a link to his or her own website and as long as its truly useful reply to the actual question asked, I personally have no problem with that either. Even linking yor own commercial site in your signature is probably fine so long as the body of your posts are actually answering posed questions or asking relevant ones.