Combined Heat and Power

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jollyrgr

Combined Heat and Power

Post by jollyrgr »

http://abcnews.go.com/International/CSM ... id=2650564

Would you buy one? I would not at the price they stated. But I wondered why a furnace with a forced air blower could not use an engine to drive the fan. It could even be designed such that the ignitor and starter motor were DC derived. Thus a battery could be added to the system to run a furnace during a prolonged blackout. The battery would be used momentarily as a starter for the engine and to possibly ignite a burner. But the blower motor would be an engine and could also have a small generator/alternator similar to riding mowers to keep the battery charged when the mains were down. Yes, there would be the added expense of about $20 replacing the battery every three or so years. Done correctly the DC side could be a simple trickle charger for the main battery.

Several years ago I read about fuel cells that convert natural gas into electricity (DC) then use an inverter to go off grid. This was supposed to start showing up in homes but I have yet to see an actual model. The waste byproduct was supposed to be clean drinking water (an added bonus). Waiting waiting waiting....
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Sterling motor heat pumps take the heat from the metal contact and turn it into additional motion for a fan.

It just depends on how much you require.
josmith

Post by josmith »

This isn't a new idea, it is a good one. Previously the term was co-generationan an idea based on the priciple of generating electricity in a location where the waste heat can be used. Since generation less than 30%efficient the other 70% can be used to heat domestic hot water or for space heating in the house.

As the news item implies the cost of the unit often kills it's marketability. A few companies have tried and failed but at least it is a good idea and someday it may be in common use.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Heat pumps in this country are an expensive novel idea.

It shouldn’t be.

In places like Afghanistan, the heater is used to heat all the hot water for storage and direct use for the whole house.

Its a simple and great Idea we should adopt more often.
philba

Post by philba »

OK, I read the article but it begs more questions than it answers. the primary one is what are the economics? I get that you will higher efficiency but what does that really mean in terms of actual costs? gogling around for more info was an education but no answers to the above questions.