Bonding Agent for LED to Glass

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
abu

Bonding Agent for LED to Glass

Post by abu »

Hi

I want to stick an rectaungular LED to a pane of glass so max. light gets transmitted from LED to the glass. Any recomendations of what type of bonding agent I should use?

Thanks
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I think any clear epoxy listed to stick to glass will do. There are many many different epoxies and only a few are in the hardware stores. Loctite 5 min and 90 minute epoxy is listed to stick to glass.

If you etch or scratch the glass a little, the adhesive may well fill it in and be a stronger bond without sacrificing much clarity (or maybe you want some diffusion).

I think Silicone adhesive caulk would also be a good but you would need more and it wouldn't stand up to as much abuse as epoxy but its easier to redo if you change something. Actually silicone is great for reinforcing all sorts of electronic assemblies.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Contact "Locktite" on the web as they do have many special glues, epoxies, etc.

[lots of other optic glue companies]

The cheap way is to use a good quality clear resin or super glue if the surfaces are dead flat.

Humidity in the room before making contact with super glue helps the glue as the glue reacts to the water molecule on the surface. [Breath helps, but not too much]

Also,..,. to put a end to any excess super glue afterwards, I use a dab of isopropyl Alcohol to kill the excess glue in its tracks. The water in the alcohol negates all the excess glue and the remaining alcohol cleans up the rest better than a stuck finger!
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

If you just need the LED to stick to the glass and don't care about how it looks as you look through the glass:

LED against the glass.

Blob of hot glue gun glue.

Allow to cool.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!