Specific Forum for Ads and Offers

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
HighFrequency

Specific Forum for Ads and Offers

Post by HighFrequency »

Maybe there should be a separate forum for people to post their advertisements, special offers, and astounding deals. I know it won't stop blatant spamming, but it would be one spot for the honest guys to post their offers and whatnot. That way, if you don't feel like reading advertisements, you don't have to... and they're not in the way. That's just my two cents.
There is only one correct answer, mine.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

We have all the bill boards in the world we need, we dont need one more here where it does not belong.

Say no to SPAM.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

I agree Chris.. keep the ads and sales people out of the forum.. don't need more SPAM!

• Ethics. Spam is based on theft of service, fraud and deceit as well as cost shifting to the recipient. The great preponderance of products and services marketed by UCE are of dubious legality. Any business that depends on stealing from its customers, preying on the innocent, and abusing the open standards of the Internet is -- and should be -- doomed to failure.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I see no incentive for N&V to implement this on the Forum as it would likely cut into their print Ad sales. A pay for Ad section on the magazine website would be more appropriate. Indeed there are advertizer links but a lower cost text only classified section would be nice.

I'm really happy they are not selling banner or popup ads on this site!!!!!
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
HighFrequency

Post by HighFrequency »

I made the original post because I've seen a few blatant advertisements (the most recent one wasn't even written well). I'm tired of expending the extra nanojoules of energy required to click on a forum topic hoping for a good read, and find a bloody advertisement. I, too, like the fact that there are no ads on this forum.
There is only one correct answer, mine.
Larry Lemieux

New Forum for trading/selling stuff

Post by Larry Lemieux »

The commercial post that appeared the other day for cell phone stuff and whatever else has been deleted and the user banned from the forum. I agree that this is not the place for "spam" type posts and we will not let the forum be hijacked by "Pacific Rim" or other commercial interests.

Having said that, I do think that this could be a very good place for "private" individuals to post items that they have for sale, trade, or just give away to an interested party. There was a discussion a short while ago about how best to create this service. I had hoped to incorporate this into the new web site we are working on, but it apeears that the new site is not comming along as quickly as we had hoped.

I propose that, for now, we just add a new forum specificaly for this purpose. If we come up with a better way to facilitate it in the new site, we can always move it over at a later date. But, for now, a new forum should be a good place to start and can be implemented quickly.

Thoughts?
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
jwax

Post by jwax »

I can't see anything wrong with another forum for ads. Question is, what is the point?
Whatever you're looking for, can be found on Google, or Ebay, or a variety of available websites. Do we need another catalog online?
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

I just spotted another ad for cell phones in Computer forum.
Dale Y
Larry Lemieux

Post by Larry Lemieux »

The cell phone ad in Computers has been deleted and the user banned.

If you'll notice, we have added a section for listing equipment. The difference between this and eBay is that this is free of charge, is limited to electronic stuff only, and no commercial ads allowed. Those that have stuff they are not using and just want to give away to a deserving party, instead of throwing it away, can list it here for free. Selling is OK too, we don't really care.

As people start to list items, we'll see what kind of problems develop and try to add rules to keep things on the up and up. I'm sure the board users will report problems and suggest fixes. We'll be listening.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

I like larry's thought about a separate forum. That will keep these items under a separate heading so that we don't have to continue wading through it on this forum.
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

I think a forum for sale/swap/free items is a great idea, but let's not kid ourselves. Spammers are spammers and will not restrict themselves to that forum.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

a seperate forum is great... but still, no commercial spammers should be allowed.. just for the use of the people in the forum for personal items, etc.. commercialize and it becomes a ZOO..