PIC or Stamp

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
phurm

PIC or Stamp

Post by phurm »

Open: (can of worms)<p>I have a reasonably good background in electronics and a pretty full junk box. I now want to explore either PICs or Stamps. I have "limitations" as indicated below but would like suggestions regarding which way to go first.<p>I know this could probably generate lots of discussion so please don't get in a "flame war" just bear in mind that this question is meant for one person with the following limitations.<p>1) unemployed so can't spend a lot right now
2) don't know C++ or assembler so need to stick with a BASIC based language
3) need guidance on whether compilers are needed
4) freeware software available and suggestions?
5) what hardware needed for programming? - one PIC book by Myke Predko included a PC board to build a programmer - are others like this available? - do stamps even need a separate programmer board?
6) if I learn enough can this be a selling point in getting a job or do most of you "consult" as self employment?
7) current expected applications would probably be home control, home security, ham radio and possibly model trains and environmental monitoring<p>I know this is an awfully broad question but suggestions greatly appreciated.<p>Paul Hurm
[email protected]
josmith

Re: PIC or Stamp

Post by josmith »

You answered your own question when you said you want to program in basic. You can download the simple dos program to program a stamp in basic. It's not actually a compiler but somehow works with the internal programing of the stamp. All you need is this software and a cable which is easy to make.
russlk

Post by russlk »

Like you, I have had limited knowledge of computers, so I bought a Basic Stamp 1 (BS1) with prototype board, manual, interface cable and software (compiler) for under $100. It was easy to program and use, but limited. The lack of floating point math was most frustrating. Looking at the ads, I think the Basic Micro Atom would be a better choice.<p>Whether you could get a job with this info is questionable in my mind. If you research to see what types are popular in industry, and learn how those work, it is possible, if you are dedicated.
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Paul,<p>There are a number of Basic dialects available. Some can be downloaded but normally have some restrictions on which PICs can be programmed.
If you want total freedom to pick(pun not intended) and choose the various devices you would be better off getting a standard basic compiler. On the other hand if you want the ability to download and get support for tried and tested code then you are looking at either the Basic Stamp or the Atom or BX24.<p>If you want a list of basic compilers email me. But first have a look at Parrallax obviously and www.basicmicro.com (excellent support).<p>colin<p>[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: bodgy ]<p>[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: bodgy ]</p>
On a clear disk you can seek forever.