parabolic microphone

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
ham

parabolic microphone

Post by ham »

A question for those who have been around for a few years , there was a project in one of the early mags about making a parabolic microphone. Just wondering if anyone remebers it and has a copy of the project. Thanks for now........
toejam

Re: parabolic microphone

Post by toejam »

try the"reader's guide to periodical literature" it might be on line by now.You may have to use the local library to search back about 15 or so years.
I think there was one in popular electronics and a couple of the science and or mechanics zines. Ithink one was called the big ear.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

There were two from the 1960's as I recall. Electronics Illustrated had one using a "parabolic" reflector which was actually a stainless steel mixing bowl. Popular Electronics had "The Shotgun Sound Snooper" which used resonant tubes formed into a rifle-mic, said to have better performance than the parabolic type. I think I can find either, although it'll take a little time to research since I don't have an index for EI. Tell me your pleasure.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
ham

Post by ham »

I am interested in the parabolic dish circuits , think the one that was in Nuts and Volts was about 1993 june or july.
Thanks Martin.........
moe

Post by moe »

That was in the 1996 December Nuts & Volts called Big Ear Noise. I am also looking for a copy.