ultraviolet LEDs ?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Chuck Barker

ultraviolet LEDs ?

Post by Chuck Barker »

any infromation or suppliers for ultraviolet LEDs? i bought a very small black light and would like to make something simular, but with a larger battery. this one uses four hearing aid batteries. thank you for your time and effort
jollyrgr

Re: ultraviolet LEDs ?

Post by jollyrgr »

Ultraviolet LEDs are available from numerous suppliers. Some of the best prices are on eBay. But for standard suppliers you might want to try All Electronics:<p>http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/c ... type=store
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Chuck,<p>Thanks for asking the question. I thought blue was the latest and greatest. At Digikey I found 410nM and 380nM LEDs.<p>Anyone,<p>Is 410nM Violet and 380nM ultraviolet?
Dale Y
cato

Post by cato »

380 is on the hairy edge of visible violet. Anything shorter could be called ultra-violet:<p>http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... pecol.html
Chuck Barker

Post by Chuck Barker »

thank all of you for the information. as always this is the place to come for good answers... chuck
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Heres a good link on the topic:<p>http://members.misty.com/don/ledbl.html<p>He hints on ways to use them to make a blacklight and has links to other informative sites.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

cato and haklesup, thanks for the links. Looks like 410nM is better for a violet indicator.<p>(now to see if I can find my copies of N & V that had the Big Ben clock. :) 60 reds for seconds, 60 ambers for minutes, 12 greens for hours, 31 blues for days, 12 violets for months :cool: )
((just kidding))
Dale Y
Chuck Barker

Post by Chuck Barker »

seeking more information...
ultraviolet is less than 3900 A.u. to 2000 A.u.
A.u. refers to angstrom units, what does nM mean? nanometers? chuck
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

nM are 10E-9 Meters and I believe Angstroms are 10E-10 Meters. So, just a decimal point different. 3900Au = 390nM
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

AU vs NM is a ten to one figure.<p> NM is nano meters in size or hight of the wave length, AU is the same with a 10 times figure. <p>AU is the OLD Physics value, where as NM is the common term of today.
Chuck Barker

Post by Chuck Barker »

thank again for the good information, chuck