low volrage output , alternator

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Chuck Barker

low volrage output , alternator

Post by Chuck Barker »

my friend has an alternator that will only put out about 87 volts on the 115v line. he has changed the diodes and capacitor, but still has the same output. the frequency should be determined by engine speed i would think, but there must be some kind or voltage regulator or reference signal to keep voltage constant...where would you start to repair or test this unit? i don't have any books (neither does the local library) on generators or alternators. any info. on this will be greatly appericated.
than you for your time and effort. chuck
dyarker

Re: low volrage output , alternator

Post by dyarker »

field winding voltage
field winding brushes<p>87V no load? what happens when you plug in a 100W lamp?<p>if voltage goes up when loaded, regulator needs adjusting.<p>if voltage goes down when loaded, regulator broke.<p>if voltage stays about the same when loaded, that's interesting!!!!!
Dale Y
Chuck Barker

Post by Chuck Barker »

hello Dale, received your information and have passed it on, will wait for his reply. this should get us in the right direction.<p>noticed your post was from Izmir, was stationed there, (Cigli AFB) in 1960-61, on the missles, that wern't there... enjoyed the city and the people.<p>thank you for the information, chuck
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

In most cases the regulator is simalar to the LM 317 in that you can remove the ground and bias it through a resistor to increase your out put voltage. But the fact that your not getting the proper voltage is a sign that it broken, and IT may not be proper to play with a broken or faulty regulator. It could shoot the other way, and blow everything valuable to you.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

assigned Izmir '84-'86
assigned Izmir '89-'95 (NATO)
contractor Diyabikir '96-'97
contractor Izmir '99-til?
TAF has had main Cigli base since '70s, we only have a couple aeroport folks there now. Whole list here to see if we crossed else where.
-----------------------------
To paraphrase Chris, have your friend be careful not to get too far in if he doesn't know electronics.<p>C U L -
Dale Y
Chuck Barker

Post by Chuck Barker »

Thanks for the information, Chris and Dale. my friend said the winding was burnt so he may get another generator. this was an emergency generator so probbly not worth repairing. Thanks again for the info.<p>I see you've spent more than one tour in Türkiye, wished I could have traveled around more when I was there. Such a lot to see...<p>chuck