Beheaded fatty nail as soldering tip...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
haklesup

Re: Beheaded fatty nail as soldering tip...

Post by haklesup »

(from wiki) Above1700 °C (1973 K /3583 °F) in vacuum or oxygen-free atmosphere, diamond converts to graphite; in air, transformation starts at ~700 °C. Diamond's ignition point is 720–800 °C in oxygen and 850–1000 °C in air

I think of those folks rummaging through ash in the CA wildfires and finding wedding rings etc, sometimes the diamond is gone and the ring melted sometimes intact Gold melts at 1064C, that leaves an almost 300C margin where a ring could survive but its diamond turned to graphite or ash.
Joseph

Re: Beheaded fatty nail as soldering tivp...

Post by Joseph »

Howdy Mr Al, thanks for mentioning maybe missing a PM. That wasn't any problem considering how things can happen in life.

I had some of those files that came four in a pack. I think they indeed were pretty low quality.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

haklesup wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:03 pm (from wiki) Above1700 °C (1973 K /3583 °F) in vacuum or oxygen-free atmosphere, diamond converts to graphite; in air, transformation starts at ~700 °C. Diamond's ignition point is 720–800 °C in oxygen and 850–1000 °C in air

I think of those folks rummaging through ash in the CA wildfires and finding wedding rings etc, sometimes the diamond is gone and the ring melted sometimes intact Gold melts at 1064C, that leaves an almost 300C margin where a ring could survive but its diamond turned to graphite or ash.

This site is becoming more and more broken.
I made a reply, then it got erased.
It also makes me log in for every post.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Joseph wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:44 pm Howdy Mr Al, thanks for mentioning maybe missing a PM. That wasn't any problem considering how things can happen in life.

I had some of those files that came four in a pack. I think they indeed were pretty low quality.
Hi,

Yes the PM must have been 'deleted' by you at some point. If i remember right, we talked on another site after that though.

Yeah i guess the cheaper ones might not work very well. I got some smaller ones from Harbor Freight, but they seemed to work but then again they were straight files not the rotary type which are high speed. I have the rotary disks too but i try to use them at somewhat slower speeds not top speed.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Hi Mr Al, sorry if I missed replying to something. If you like to send it again I can still try to answer it.

I remember now about the diamond things. The little hand files came from Dollar Tree, four in the pack. I also got packs of diamond cutting wheels for my Dremel rotary tool from Harbor Freight, five in a pack for something like four dollars. Both types of things got their diamond coating eroded, apparently, as far as I know, from filing iron-containing alloys. I tried setting the Dremel as slow as possible, even lowering its supply voltage. And the files from Dollar Tree are used just relatively slowly by hand.

About here, I can't log in unless I check the "remember me" box. Otherwise it just keeps going straight back to asking for my ID and PW.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Joseph wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:19 am Hi Mr Al, sorry if I missed replying to something. If you like to send it again I can still try to answer it.

I remember now about the diamond things. The little hand files came from Dollar Tree, four in the pack. I also got packs of diamond cutting wheels for my Dremel rotary tool from Harbor Freight, five in a pack for something like four dollars. Both types of things got their diamond coating eroded, apparently, as far as I know, from filing iron-containing alloys. I tried setting the Dremel as slow as possible, even lowering its supply voltage. And the files from Dollar Tree are used just relatively slowly by hand.

About here, I can't log in unless I check the "remember me" box. Otherwise it just keeps going straight back to asking for my ID and PW.
I just replied and it made me log in again, then stole the entire post.

I got files from Amazon too and they were bigger and worked good. I use them on wood too.

I have to suggest that people look for another site as this one just gets worse and worse.
AAC and ETO are good.

If they dont do some maintenance on this site soon soon it wont work at all.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Regarding the Weller soldering gun.
Wind a coil of bare #12-10 copper wire about 1.5" diameter and 2" long. Coils cannot touch, and shape the ends to fit the soldering gun barrels.
It's a really fast and clean shrink tube heater, or for forming plastic rod and tubing! Make different shaped coils for special aplications or heats.
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)