Very unusual desoldering method...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

Very unusual desoldering method...

Post by Externet »

:grin: Hi fellows. Have to share this; worth trying.

Come back with your observations, results, comments, adaptations, improvements. Am sorry it has some advertisements embedded...
Get your finest tweezers ready, it is a very nice way to harvest valuable parts from discarded equipment, enjoy :

:idea: ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSFZ2eadaA

Am already thinking on doing it upside down... a rain of parts to start 2018 !
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Lenp

Re: Very unusual desoldering method...

Post by Lenp »

That sounds like an idea for single parts that's worth trying.
For whole board salvage, the best I've found is to hold the board, component side down, over an empty waste can. Heat the solder side with a heat gun, a small section at at a time. When the solder just starts to melt, tap the board briskly on the can's edge. Parts and solder will all go into the can, but, since the solder is just barely at it's melting point, it cools before it hits the can bottom so it does not stick on the parts. Now pick out the desired parts, including those pesky pin headers that often come out intact, and is hard to do any other way.
It can be a bit messy, so you better consider using eye protection and of course there's always a burn risk...As we all know!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i saw this the other day also, but i hope that lamp does not get too hot to hold.
if anyone tries it let me know, curious if it actually works.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Seems like it would blind the operator somewhat when used as a wand. Practically like Welding, you would need glasses so dark, all you would see is the bulb and immediate work area. Its not surprising considering Halogen lamps are often well over 100W. A better application would be to power it using a PWM supply with thermocouple feedback and use it for back of the board heating in a rework situation. When not soldering, can be used to make little cakes or shrink tubing.
Externet

Post by Externet »

A piece of sheet metal as half shroud should take care of the glare for the user. Headlamps were limited by law to 55 Watts, but that was a looong ago.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I didn't think that was a headlamp, just a low voltage lamp for indoor use, I scrapped some 75 and 150W potlights for LED a few years ago. 55W would be obsolete since many new cars have LED lamps rated in Lumens and you can get some pretty bright ones now on ebay but I couldn't say if they are non compliant though.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi haklesup.
The lamp bulb used on the video is a common automotive halogen 12V incandescent headlamp bulb, typically 55 to 65 Watts. One filament has a Graves shield to direct the emission towards one side (or block certain direction).
There is also 120VAC halogen bulbs (without the shield) that could also be used.
Hyperbright LED automotive headlamps would not emit infrared to melt solder.
Will see what is in my bins to try :smile:

----> https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1024_.jpg
jwax

Post by jwax »

Maybe add a glass lens and fry small critters like ants!
Or, contactless wood burning!
WA2RBA
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

I get Godzilla to breath on the bottom of my boards and all the parts fly right off :smile:

It's not what you know it's who you know.

Or in this case, it's not what you know it's WHAT you know :grin: :grin:
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
WCE4

Post by WCE4 »

I tried it and it does work. Here is a few suggestion. Use sunglasses, a heat shield on the back end of the bulb, make or purchase a ceramic lamp holder for the bulb and use welding gloves.
I used 120v halogen lamp. (It is not my preferred method to do it this way) :yuck: