Microwave oven transformer... reversed.

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

Microwave oven transformer... reversed.

Post by Externet »

Hi.
As is, with no modifications, connecting mains to the high voltage winding; would the low voltage winding be capable of some spot welding to sheet metal ? Never tried playing with those...
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Lenp

Re: Microwave oven transformer... reversed.

Post by Lenp »

No, the winding gauge and ratios are wrong. But if you leave the primary winding and remove the secondary windings then rewind the core with a high current secondary that will work.
Here's how https://mad-science.wonderhowto.com/how ... r-0140772/

Additionally this idea has been covered by many YouTube 'stars' !
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

I dont think he should remove the welds holding the core together just to put in 2 turns. I'd cut out the secondary winding with Plato wire cutters or a knife. Then feed through the new secondary.

I once made a twelve Volt power supply that was resistant to damage from shorting out the 12V. It had a lot of voltage drop on the loaded secondary. It used a microwave oven transformer that was turned around like was asked about above here.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

you can also carefully cut the secondary out with a hacksaw, and then tap out the secondary..
gerty

Post by gerty »

One of my students made one of these, he cut the secondary off with a hacksaw being careful not to cut the primary. He wound the secondary with 2 turns of #6 thhn and it worked perfectly for his needs. He had to tie the secondary in place with wire ties to keep it tight with the core.I think the open circuit voltage was about 2 volts.

edit: As with all spot welding, you must keep pressure on the tips whre the weld is going or it'll just blow out holes..
Externet

Post by Externet »

Thank you gentlemen. Good to learn from your experiences.
So about a Volt per turn to expect... With a few fatty AWG turns, a substantial battery charger/eliminator could also be implemented.

I wonder if with the primary energized and not loading the secondary there is some things needed to consider.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
jwax

Post by jwax »

Amazingly versatile transformer, that is. Wind it for whatever you like!
Only concern about an unloaded secondary with the primary powered, is contact between the secondary wires! Lotta amps!
WA2RBA
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

I once rewound a 24 volt, not so smart fork lift battery charger, for 12 volt service, one heck of a boost charger that one was!
The formula you need is Lotta Amps=Lotta Fun! :shock:
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Joseph wrote:I dont think he should remove the welds holding the core together just to put in 2 turns. I'd cut out the secondary winding with Plato wire cutters or a knife. Then feed through the new secondary.

I once made a twelve Volt power supply that was resistant to damage from shorting out the 12V. It had a lot of voltage drop on the loaded secondary. It used a microwave oven transformer that was turned around like was asked about above here.
Hi there,

That's how many of the older wall warts were made too. The leakage inductance acts as a current limit for the output and thus for the input.

I have one sitting here waiting for some sort of mod.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Howdy, I had an old Texas Instruments calculator that appears to have predated the TI 30 that had a wall wart using a transformer like that. I seem to recall that it even regulated the output with just a zener diode.

Presently I have a choke that I made with a roll of wire as the magnetic core. I would like to replace that with a transformer-type core, possibly one from microwave oven.
gerty

Post by gerty »

Have you seen this? While I don't agree with everything he's done, it still works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrlvqib94xQ