Alternative to Eagle PCB

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
lindula

Alternative to Eagle PCB

Post by lindula »

Hello, the PCB design software Eagle has now gone to a Subscription Model where you must pay either $100/year. So, I'm looking for an alternative. I'm considering ExpressPCB, KiCad or DesignSpark. Could anyone suggest other PCB Cad tools?

Thanks,
Joe
Lenp

Re: Alternative to Eagle PCB

Post by Lenp »

I use 'Easy-PC' by No. One Systems (UK & US) but it must be purchased.
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
haklesup

Re: Alternative to Eagle PCB

Post by haklesup »

how many layers do you want to support? How many nodes? There are student versions of NI - Ultiboard for example that are layer and node limited but if you have small projects, it would work for example. there are demo and basic versions of other tools as well. Some of these are one time purchase and should last for a couple OS upgrades at least without updates.

The subscription price model is growing, it helps balance the cash flow for software only companies and makes predicting income easier, otherwise its all boom and bust if you are a one product company. For larger companies with more product levels, you can still get one time buy prices including basic and student versions.