LED stays on 24/7

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
haklesup

Re: LED stays on 24/7

Post by haklesup »

I buy the secondary excitation of the phosphors theory a lot more than I can believe stray mA level currents in house wiring faults. That other forum link was filled with anecdote and guesses by semi technical persons. It may be true that some LED can glow under very low power but an LED light bulb is a lot more than an isolated diode. a switching power supply is buried inside the base of those bulbs and the LED they use is high brightness and high power. it is really unreasonable to speculate that there could be an active glow but a passive glow from phosphors is reasonable, I have seen some lamps glow for several seconds appearing to cool off when powered down. You must have very sensitive eyes. if it is the phosphor, then a different brand buld would likely appear different in some way.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Headboard lamp, both pictures with its switch off.
Led lamp.jpeg
Faint.jpeg
Unsure if will be visible, perhaps move the angle of visual on different ambient lighting to attempt discerning the faint LEDs on in the dark picture. Touching its metal cabinet increases their brightness by about 5%. The power cord is 2 conductor, 2 prong. It is mounted on a wood piece of furniture. Of course, goes fully off when unplugged from wall. It has always behaved like that. Before moving, in another home, another city, did the same.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

May the ghosts be with you!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
gerty

Post by gerty »

"The LEDs can glow with only microamps of current. One message in the linked forum post indicated that just touching some piece of metal to the input of these LED lights can make them glow from close-by AC voltages. The only question I have now is why it's intermittent."

You say there is voltage across the led lamp , but I didn't see a number, how much was there? Can you put an additional "load" across the lamp when checking the voltage? something like a light bulb in a lamp socket, just as long as it draws a half amp or better.
To me, so far, sounds like induced voltage. An additional load will cause it to drop to zero. As to why it's intermittant, the voltage could be induced from something that cycles like refrigerator, water heater, etc....
Testing it with the additional load should let you know if its induced.
Ronaldlees

Post by Ronaldlees »

gerty wrote:"The LEDs can glow with only microamps of current. One message in the linked forum post indicated that just touching some piece of metal to the input of these LED lights can make them glow from close-by AC voltages. The only question I have now is why it's intermittent."

You say there is voltage across the led lamp , but I didn't see a number, how much was there? Can you put an additional "load" across the lamp when checking the voltage? something like a light bulb in a lamp socket, just as long as it draws a half amp or better.
To me, so far, sounds like induced voltage. An additional load will cause it to drop to zero. As to why it's intermittant, the voltage could be induced from something that cycles like refrigerator, water heater, etc....
Testing it with the additional load should let you know if its induced.
Hi Gerty:

The light base has two sockets, but I had only one bulb installed. So, following your suggestion, I put a standard incandescent bulb in the other socket, that was empty. Now, when I turn off the light switch, the incandescent goes out immediately (of course) - but the LED stays lit - and keeps that glow for a couple seconds, then goes out. So now it doesn't glow. Thanks for the fix!

- Ron
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I misunderstood the type of bulb but in this case, any thing that would put a small voltage across the diode enough to forward bias it will release some photons. Clearly the driver behind that fixture has the ability to leak when switched off but plugged in.