Internet television...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

Internet television...

Post by Externet »

Hi. A friend brought a TV to repair. Well, ... done, fixed, works. Told him it is ready to be picked up and answered "It's yours" !
He had bought a bigger one as soon as this one failed. I have been used as a dumpster :grin: . It is a 47" Vizio.

It accepts internet. What can be seen with it ? Its quickie manual shows I have to register with Yahoo and tell them my underwear colors... which they will be waiting for a century to get.

You modern guys with all the toys... What can be seen with it on the internet not subscribing to anyone ? Youtube ? News ? How does it work...?

By the way, This is the second typing for this post. All the contend wiped off on the first submission attempt ! Still an abandoned site that bites nearly every time.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Janitor Tzap

Re: Internet television...

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Externet wrote:Hi. A friend brought a TV to repair. Well, ... done, fixed, works. Told him it is ready to be picked up and answered "It's yours" !
He had bought a bigger one as soon as this one failed. I have been used as a dumpster :grin: . It is a 47" Vizio.
I've ended up with a lot of TV's this way too. :lol:
Externet wrote:It accepts internet. What can be seen with it ? Its quickie manual shows I have to register with Yahoo and tell them my underwear colors... which they will be waiting for a century to get.
Tell Yahoo to go #@&* themselves! You don't need to sign up to any service.
Externet wrote:You modern guys with all the toys... What can be seen with it on the internet not subscribing to anyone ? Youtube ? News ? How does it work...?
See if you can get the Full Manual from Vizio on this particular model.
They should have some kind of setup instructions for it.
Or......
If you don't want to be bothered with all the fiddly junk to use it that way.
Why not just use it as your Computer Monitor?

I've setup some of these TV's as monitors for Gamer's.
When not gaming, they jump on Youtube and watch Vid's, or switch over to regular Over Air TV.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Even with a good Smart TV (I'm not familiar with Visio) you will get very little watchable content without paying again for subscriptions unless you could watch YouTube all day. For any TV, the cheapest way to watch content (aside from OTA of course) is to stream from a basic android device (phone or tablet or generic TV box) one of the many program outlets free or pay (internet ISP charges not withstanding). If the TV has a generic web browser (not many did until the last few years) then you have a lot of options but changing the channel is a lot of steps.

As for the free TV, if you want it and can use it, great, otherwise, I would charge the friend whatever he agreed to repair it for a disposal fee. You presumably spent some time on his request, that would be fair.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

With the Vizio there are built in apps for YouTube, Netflix, Hulu and many others. No, you cannot surf the net but there is still some free content available. There is a app manager that allows adding or deleting apps.
Connection is via a wireless or wired connection and there is a complete network set up section, plus they also have an on screen user guide that just about says it all. If you have a speedy connection, preferably wired, the streaming is great with usually no buffering.

From the USB port you can view movies, pictures and play music loaded onto a USB or connected hard drive. They say a hard drive will not work but I have a 1TB drive loaded with stuff, and the TV presents a directory similar to Windows Explorer to make your selections. I guess that statement is because NTFS is not supported on larger drives. I have located software that will quickly convert the NTFS to a FAT drive with no loss of data, and all is well.

Some movie codecs, based on the Vizio model, may not be supported and must be converted before they will play.

The Vizio's have been a bit buggy for me, one with a backlight issue that was replaced through a third party warranty, and one smaller set that tends to turn itself on without assistance. (I posted previously)

So at this point, with 4 different Vizio's I am not too unhappy, except for a somewhat minor quirks.

Hope this helps
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
jwax

Post by jwax »

They make a nice drying rack for t-shirts.
WA2RBA
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i would suspect that the tv can be used much like a Amazon fire stick or a Roku. not sure, just guessing..
Externet

Post by Externet »

Thanks, fellows.
Tried my first-timer luck at poking buttons, and found the built-in 'Vudu' movie provider option has a free-per-view humble selection. Saw a nice documentary in Wifi and another in wired ethernet. All worked fine !
- Abolish the deciBel ! -