Buy or build

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Lenp

Buy or build

Post by Lenp »

I need two predetermined, also know as preset, counters for a wire measure/cut project.
You set a number, count whatever and something happens when the count is reached, then do it again.

My knee jerk first thought was to get a micro, keypad, display, a fist full of other stuff and then crank out pounds of code.
But my second thought is to just buy them from Ebay for $25. They are way better and smaller than anything I could ever build, and all at a huge cost and time savings.

It's no wonder the interest in electronic hobby core values is slacking off. It's become a buy it cheap, hook it up and use it science. You don't need to reinvent the wheel when you can just put an axle in it and take a ride in the cart.

There are a ton of kits, not like the old Heathkit, Eico and Knight of years gone by, but people like Velleman, Chaney, Jameco Sparkfun.. that take the grunt work and cost out, and put productivity in, by making kitted building block. Many electronic sub-assemblies can be purchased and shipped from overseas for less than the parts cost.

Just because you can do it is not always adequate justification to do it! I like to refer to these as 'Thinker Toys'!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Ronaldlees

Re: Buy or build

Post by Ronaldlees »

Yes, it's hard to justify building it yourself. I find myself buying a lot of cheap boards (Sparkfun, et al) ... but I usually also add self-built stuff to the mix. Some part of the thing will need a conversion, attenuation, or some other such thing. For the most part, I'm linking little boards together in a box. It's a pretty easy time and economics decision ...
Ronaldlees

Post by Ronaldlees »

BTW: Heathkit is back. Unfortunately, I've seen only one kit so far ...

Someone bought the name, I guess.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Well, you are building the thing that needs the counter yourself. It is true that at this application level, Integrations of modules seems to dominate electromechanical designs but there are still opportunities to engineer the sensors, user controls, mechanical output and operator experience. I personally appreciate not having to solder every stinkin wire myself. I got a bunch of kits for Christmas, I've completed only 2 (I have other projects I want to work on more). If you want to get in deeper, you need to design something more custom.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

The problem is as we get deeper into life, the fiddle time becomes less, in spite of the retirement myth!
Len

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Have you heard the new term "Time Famine"

a feeling of having too much to do and not enough time to do it.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

at work we use a lot of aluminum ribbon to wrap cables to span.. i thought long ago to build a measure n cut device, but have yet to try to design and build one..one issue is to be able to keep the ribbon aligned as it comes off the roll..
as for the functions of the unit, i had thought to use a timer to estimate the length.. more time the longer the ribbon..then at end of time, cut and repeat.. another circuit would be for how many pieces you'd want / need.
also the unit would need to be weather resistant. i'll most likely be retired before i make one,, but it's always been a thought..usually when i actually needed it, while cutting 100's of pieces..lol
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Actually the mechanical part would be more challenging then the electronics.
With cheap off the shelf preset counters you can count the turns of a wheel and then cut at the preset value. Add a batch counter and it will stop at the desired quantity.
I have the AM-10 pneumatic crimper (see other posts) and they have a cutting die for it. It comes with a foot pedal valve but a 4 way solenoid valve would work properly.
Maybe throw in a micro with some simple timing loops to keep everyone marching in step.
Yes, a full micro based control is possible but that takes more programming and debugging time than it's probably worth since the plug-n-play preset counters are around $30 from China.
I will do it....someday...soon, maybe!
Len