Need a few pins?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Lenp

Need a few pins?

Post by Lenp »

If you need single pin sockets for a PCB, like for mounting a G3.17 bipin lamp, or maybe other odd footprint parts, the price for these pins can be a bit shocking.

But, there is a cheap solution!
Get a machined pin IC socket. I use a 40 pin SIP, and at the right places, they run about $.01 per pin.
Heat the thermoplastic assembly with a heat gun until the plastic just softens. Then tap each pin out from the solder side over something that will allow the pin to drop out. I can do a 40 pin SIP in less than a minute, with no damaged pins.
It's an amazing savings!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Externet

Re: Need a few pins?

Post by Externet »

Thanks for your neat suggestion, Len.

What I do is clipping the socket number of pins to match the part. For evaluating/replacing transistors, a three pin sectioned socket (with plastic intact) works wonders.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Lenp

Re: Need a few pins?

Post by Lenp »

Sure, clipping works but some parts like the bipin lamp have spacing different then .1" standard, so the pins must be loose to fit the profile. What triggered this is a product I build uses bipin lamps soldered to a pcb. The plating on the pins makes it difficult to solder, and lamp sockets are tough to find and are too big. It sure looks like these loose pins are the answer.
They can be soldered using the tail, or with a larger hole, the body can be soldered to reduce the pin's top projection.
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)