'Low Frequency Hydro-Electro-Mechanical Oscillator"

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Lenp

'Low Frequency Hydro-Electro-Mechanical Oscillator"

Post by Lenp »

We came home today and something was making a very pronounced noise in the basement, coming from the heat pump. I recognized it as a contactor chattering, and I found the noise was coming from the steam humidifier. This is a duct mounted stainless steel tank, with an electric heater, a water fill float valve and at one time, a float switch. The water valve keeps the unit topped up and the float switch prevented the heaters from operating if the tank was dry. Years ago the low voltage float and switch rotted away, so I replaced it with a triac and brass brazing wire probe.

It worked great, until today. It seems the brass rod has eroded, I guess due to electrolysis, and at this point it just barely touched the water surface. So today, when the probe sensed the top of the water, and the humidistat called for more moisture, the contactor pulled in. It's vibration sent a shock wave through the water tank. The ripple on the water top broke the sensor contact and the contactor dropped out but when the reflected wave returned it made contact again. I may have invented a 'Low Frequency Hydro-Electro-Mechanical Oscillator"! To fix it I cut a piece of stainless steel strip, that goes much deeper into the tank to replace the brass rod and the problem seems to be solved.

Just another day of the devil being in the details!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
CeaSaR

Re: 'Low Frequency Hydro-Electro-Mechanical Oscillator"

Post by CeaSaR »

You've just got to love "accidental invention".
CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Lenp

Re: 'Low Frequency Hydro-Electro-Mechanical Oscillator"

Post by Lenp »

More accidental findings!
Put acetone or MEK in a small jar, add clean styrofoam, keeping the jar tightly closed. Add more styrofoam until the consistency is like a heavy syrup. It makes a pretty good and inexpensive plastic cement!

Also, if you have some plastic project boxes that have been kicked around and lost their appearance, 'refinish' them'!
Use a coarse cloth, like a shop towel, white dress shirt, jeans, or just be experimental. Cut a piece of cloth the size of the box surface to be to be 'refinished'. Wet the cloth with acetone or MEK and press it onto the box surface. Wait until the plastic is softened then carefully peel the cloth off and let the solvent evaporate and the box harden. The box will have the pattern of the cloth's weave.
I became aware of this trick years ago when I found out how a chemically soaked rag in a tool kit could remodel a Triplett 310 VOM..Don't ask! :mad:
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)