Raspberry Starter Kit with Projects

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
lindula

Raspberry Starter Kit with Projects

Post by lindula »

Hello, I'm looking for a Raspberry Starter Kits that include a list of projects with instructions. If anyone can recommend such a kit please let me know. Also, if you could recommend and good books please let me know.

Thank you very much.

Joe
California
solar3000

Re: Raspberry Starter Kit with Projects

Post by solar3000 »

Why? They include junk you don't need.

If you must, you can pick up any one at micro center if you live near one. MCM sells nice ones at a reasonable price.

I'll create a kit for you.

Buy the board.
Buy also:
* any cheap micro SD card 16 or 32GB is more than enough
* any cheap case for a few dollars. Do not buy sealed cases, the raspberryp pi 3 will over heat in minutes and crash.
* tiny heat sink if its a raspberry pi 3. No heat sink for rpi 2 or 1

That's it. You already have the rest. You already have keyboard, mouse, monitor, phone charger. Or buy a 2.5A USB charger. Actually its very important to get a good USB power supply.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

To the OP: I've started my own research and I've found there is no shortage of projects on the web, a simple search of Raspberry Pi projects turns up several good websites. In particular, start here https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/ I don't think you will need a physical "BOOK" as the web is overflowing with help and forums.

solar3000, sounds like you have some experience, I just acquired a pi 3 for Christmas and I'm deciding how to get rolling, I'm no beginner though so I just need a few anchor points to get me going. I'm curious about how you use it: (anyone else too)

1. What do you use to develop new software code?
2. what OS do you load for your projects (Linux I assume but what flavor?)
3. What hardware modules have you integrated so far?
4. can you give examples of any software only projects?

For me integrating hardware modules and thinking up applications should not be too hard. My bottleneck is going to be getting the S/W development kit setup and my first code loaded. These don't exactly come with a CDROM loaded with example code and an IDK with setup program like some of the uControllers do. I thrive on actual examples, I'm curious what people are doing with their pi, I'm interested in motion control right now.
solar3000

Post by solar3000 »

haklesup wrote:To the OP: I've started my own research and I've found there is no shortage of projects on the web, a simple search of Raspberry Pi projects turns up several good websites. In particular, start here https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/ I don't think you will need a physical "BOOK" as the web is overflowing with help and forums.

solar3000, sounds like you have some experience, I just acquired a pi 3 for Christmas and I'm deciding how to get rolling, I'm no beginner though so I just need a few anchor points to get me going. I'm curious about how you use it: (anyone else too)

1. What do you use to develop new software code?
2. what OS do you load for your projects (Linux I assume but what flavor?)
3. What hardware modules have you integrated so far?
4. can you give examples of any software only projects?

For me integrating hardware modules and thinking up applications should not be too hard. My bottleneck is going to be getting the S/W development kit setup and my first code loaded. These don't exactly come with a CDROM loaded with example code and an IDK with setup program like some of the uControllers do. I thrive on actual examples, I'm curious what people are doing with their pi, I'm interested in motion control right now.

The only learning curve is 'installation' and learning British slang. Can't help you with the latter.
Installing the OS is not with a CDROM. You need a separate PC to write to an SD card.
So download the supported OS:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ < click on the full download, left >
unzip the image. Write image to micro SD card:
dd bs=4M if=2016-11-25-raspbian-jessie.img of=<your SD card like /dev/sda not sda1>
Next plug in the micro SD card and power it on. That's it. It's up and running in 30 seconds.
That's all, the rest is like using any PC running debian.
Its not the same as arduino. Different power requirements, different concept.