proto builder for hire?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jimandy

proto builder for hire?

Post by jimandy »

My age has taken a toll on my soldering skills and vision so I no linger work at my shop bench.
But I still have some circuit ideas I want to try and my scope still works!
I'm wondering if there as those out there who enjoy taking a reasonably well documented circuit diagram and description and turning into a custom PCB, or a soldered up breadboard for a fee. Not looking for production quality, just something that is stable and won't fall apart in the mail.
I expect no guarantee on the validity of my circuit design, I would just want a verifiably accurate fab. (Yes, I can still read color codes on resistors)

Or is there another route to go on small project circuit fabrication from a 3rd party?
"if it's not another it's one thing."
haklesup

Re: proto builder for hire?

Post by haklesup »

There are plenty of commercial assemblers but they will want some decent money. Maybe you can get someone to do a lot charge and submit multiple projects at once (say 4). Under these conditions you might be able to get it under $200 or under $50 each.

Just stay away from any SMT that requires a stencil, that artwork will cost you an extra $250 right off the top. Our last outside hand assembly job was 25 boards for $100 each and they had a couple hundred components for wave solder. A small job would probably be hand soldered regardless but that pushes up the cost.

I don't know the market in Alabama, if you need a shop in the silicon valley, I can come up with a bunch. Not hard to find in a web search, search on "proto assembly" or "PCB assembly". Also many PCB fabs will offer assembly Turnkey or from a kit you provide. If you can find a fab and ship them the parts and get back assembled boards, that would be the easiest solution for you. I find the cheapest prototype fabs and assembly to be in the mid west.
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

Thanks haklesup. I remember some of your good advice posts from years back when I was more active in this forum.
Good to know you're still around.
"if it's not another it's one thing."
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Hi jimandy,
Doing one of a kind boards is something I do on a regular basis, and based on the complexity, the cost could be quite low since I am a one man shop.

Bare etched or populated boards, you supply the parts, or I supply the parts, everything is possible.
Give me some details, here or PM me, if you are more comfortable with that.

After the prototype, if you need quantities I work with a company that has limited capabilities, (no layers, PTH, stencil or routing), but really great prices on single and double sided tin plated boards, fast turn around, and another one man shop!

I can understand if you don't want to give all the details up front so with a parts list or a pin count, estimated board size and the board's function, like power, audio, rf, we can go on from there.

Hope this helps
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
sghioto

Post by sghioto »

PM sent