i need help with NanoStations loco M5..

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

i need help with NanoStations loco M5..

Post by dacflyer »

i bought a pair of these off of ebay and got them in, and connected them up..
trying to gain access to the units so i can set them up.
unable to connect via LAN
when trying to connect via 192.168.1.20 ( default ip ) my laptop says units do not have a valid IP address.

i might be missing a step to do something... the directions say to do this...

Configure the Ethernet adapter on your host system with a
static IP address on the 192.168.1.x subnet.

what is a host system ? my laptop ?
i did not understand... where do i do this part ?
i have set up wireless routers before, but never a wireless bridge..

please help...
dyarker

Re: i need help with NanoStations loco M5..

Post by dyarker »

... when trying to connect via 192.168.1.20 ( default ip ) my laptop says units do not have a valid IP address.
If your router DHP assigns IPs from a different net/subnet then the PC would say that.

Yes, your PC is the "host" they're talking about.

If your PC also has hardware ethernet port, then we won't have to mess with your wireless Internet settings. Does it have an RJ45 ethernet port?
Dale Y
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

can you do IPCONFIG /ALL in a command prompt, and paste results here?
Dale Y
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i am using the LAN on my laptop with wifi turned off..
i did a IPCONFIG, and there is no gateway IP..it is just blank..
i cannot get in the units at all..so i am guessing they are defect,, gonna send them back,, i got new ones on the way..
i even took the units to a GEEK store. , ( no not to "worst buy" ) anyway they said they cannot get into the units either..
hopefully the new units will be fine...
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Gateway is not important in this case.

What is IP number and netmask of the ethernet port shown by IPCONFIG?

Unless you (and the guys at geek store) set the PC IP to same net/subnet the units WILL NOT RESPOND!!!!

It is possible the guys at the geek store only know how to setup a PC for DHCP. This is a job for fixed IPs.

Cheers,
Dale Y
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

well in the tutorials i saw on the TUBE, they showed it like it was easy to do...but i did not see any mention of setting the PC IP to the same as the units i am trying to program..
is it way different than setting up a wireless router ?
in my router, i just turned off my WiFi, connected my LAN, and then opened up my browser and entered the required IP address ( 192.168.1.3 )

what do i have to do to get into these loco M5 units ?
from what the tutorial explained, it should have been the same process...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZxJPBukjbY seemed very informative... what am i missing here from what i have already tried.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

To the same network, not the same number.

You said the unit comes set to 192.168.1.20

That means your PC can be any IP number of 192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.19 or 192.168.1.21 thru 192.168.1.254 for communicating with these units (while still unchanged) ((and one at a time)).

Once connected, you change it's IP to be on the same network as the PC uses for Internet access. Then change the second unit's IP to a different number on the Internet access network.

Or, there might even be a "Use DHCP" setting in the units. That would allow automatic IP numbering for them too. BUT FIRST, YOU MUST CONNECT TO THEM AT 192.168.1.20 TO DO THE SETUP.

THEN the PC can be changed back to it's normal setup.

Not answering a simple question is really, REALLY, slowing things down! We could have been done by now.

Cheers,
Dale Y
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

maybe i am not making myself clear.. as i am still new to all this set up...but i had no problem doing this with my wireless router..it may be different than these wireless units, i do not know..
all i can say is that from what i understood was... turn off my WiFi off the laptop, then connect my LAN cable to the unit..
then goto my browser, and put in the default IP, and that should get me into the unit..then from there i can change the static IP to what ever i want..

correct ??
if so than my problem still stand that i cannot get into these units...

if i am wrong, can you explain so that i can understand better ?

thanks..
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

... it may be different than these wireless units, i do not know...
It is, and I gave brief explanation. I need info not to send you on wrong track.
... all i can say is that from what i understood was... turn off my WiFi off the laptop, then connect my LAN cable to the unit..
then goto my browser, and put in the default IP, and that should get me into the unit..then from there i can change the static IP to what ever i want...
No. And as I explained, you first need to set the PC's IP to be in the same network as the unit so you can communicate with it to change it's settings.
correct ??
No!
if so than my problem still stand that i cannot get into these units ...
You haven't made the needed temporary change yet.
if i am wrong, can you explain so that i can understand better ?
Yes. I recognize you're inexperienced in network admin, but I need a little info from you so explanation fits your circumstances.

So one last time ... WHAT DOES IPCONFIG SAY THE CURRENT SETUP OF YOUR PC IS????????

Cheers,
Dale Y
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ok,, here is what i learned... 1st i did not check what my IP is yet,, but i did learn that i had to set up a static IP for my LAN..but then there was the issue of knowing what to put in the the IP of the unit i was working with and it worked.. so i was able to get into the unit after all..

but my question now is,, will i have to do the same thing for the other unit.. ( right now, both units are in default mode, will change that later on )
is there a static setting i can put in that will work for both units for now while i am programming them ?
( i think if i had a gateway IP that would work for either unit for now, it would work )

unit 1 = station 192.168.1.20 will change to different IP when i program it ( .10 )
unit 2 = AP? 192.168.1.20 will change also ( .11 ) suggestions ?

i may be making this sound harder than it is,, but i am trying to learn here...
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

By not checking the IP of PC before changing things we don't know what network portion of IP number to use for M5s new IPs. And 10 or 11 might be the host portion assigned to the PC by DHCP in the router. In which case that number can NOT be used for fixed IP of M5.

It is very irritating when someone asks a question, won't give needed info, the runs ahead of suggestions.

I'll assume DHCP (auto IPs) in router assigns IPs in the 192.168.0.x net. With 192.168.0.1 for itself, and 192.168.0.5 to your PC. Then 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11 would okay fixed numbers. Notice the dot zero versus th dot one in M5 default.

The router could also use 10.x.y.z IPs or 172.(16 31).v.y In which case building fixed IPs for M5s would have to be adjusted. BUT WE DON"T KNOW because you jumped ahead without checking original setup of PC.
Dale Y
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

sorry if your getting annoyed with me,, but i am trying to learn here.. but there is a lot that i still do not understand..there is probably steps i skipped and such. but at least i am trying to learn..
if i am annoying you, then i'll just drop the conversation here and try to learn else where...
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

That is why I'm sticking with it!

But we truely do need the IP number the PC had before so that new IP numbers for the M5s will be same network (first 3 bytes). Otherwise you will not be able to communicate after the change in M5 and then put PC back to normal.
Dale Y
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i gave up.... told the guy that this is beyond my knowledge.. let him find someone else to do it...
i am running out of time anyway...going on vacation soon..
thanks anyway.