Telephone Test Numbers

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Lenp

Telephone Test Numbers

Post by Lenp »

Years ago when life was simpler, the older telephone systems offered 'test' numbers. These were not for the general public's use but they did get around.

In my area, years ago the exchanges used 811..dialtone..6 for a ring back. There also was 211, which disconnected your line from the CO and terminated the line to make noise and other tests for about 1 minute or so then it reconnected. Today some exchanges still have the ####7-####7-9987 test that sends an intermittent 1Khz-0.0dbm signal for loss measurements. That test signal is probably useless if it comes from a central office than the one you are connected to. Today, with digital, fiber and the computerized 'test desk', I wonder if any different numbers are in use.
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
haklesup

Re: Telephone Test Numbers

Post by haklesup »

Years ago... like the 70s at the latest. Many of those 3 number test codes only worked when the Telco was all mechanical switching and rotary dialing only. I think we had 333 which would ring you back after hanging up and another number that would ring back a continuous ring with no pauses until you picked up (That one was fun). Some test codes persisted into touch tone days but I believe now they just call a complete number and have an operator do that from a computer terminal somewhere or they have an app for that. Its been a while since I needed a Telco service call
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

here in Fayetteville NC
311 tells you your phone number.

955+XXXX gives a test tone, and if you hang up for a sec and pick up, the tone is still there,, hang up a 2nd time and your phone rings, pick up again the tone is still there,, hang up 1 last time and the line is cleared.

used to be you just dial your own phone # and it would ring back..
there used to be a number also for the current time.

in Parkton NC 20yrs ago,the town is so small.
(blink your eyes and you passed it, town still only has a 4 way flasher,no traffic light ) that you only had to dial the last 4 numbers to call anyone else in the town.. and you had to dial 4+ the number to get out of town. no longer the case now..
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Here"s another worthwhile number to find the number of a line on an unmarked terrminal. It's not a telco ANI test number but is from MCI. It is automated and announces the calling number. 888-624-5622.

I know of a small Midwestern town that got a phone book update. A gummed label with the new numbers. This town is so small when there's a parade, there's nobody left to watch, they get their fire truck from Hertz, bulbs for the only stop-n-go light from the Dollar Store and the ambo services is owned and dispatched by the funeral home.
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

wow, that's terrible...lol